1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a good razor for sensitive skin.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Lately my skin has been pretty irritated while shaving, and I'm wondering if getting a different razor or something might help. Right now I'm using that Gillete Fusion thing. It's only been recently that getting rid of the semi-beard has been REALLY annoying. Anyway, for some reason, I foresee tons of joke posts, which are fine with me, so long as at least one person can recommend me a good razor that shaves clean and soft.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use an electric. Sharp blades on an electric are essential, and having a light touch is essential as well. Aftershave is a must for me, as otherwise my skin can break out.

3. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Not that I shave much but use a sharp razor. Its more the foam/gel you use that makes the difference. I used to use King of Shaves when I did shave though. Now I have a beard and just trim it with my clippers when I am shaving my head.

4. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    +1. King of Shaves works wonders.

5. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    it's all about when and how you shave as well. I've got very, VERY sensitive skin, and I have a severe problem with razor burn and irritation for the most part. Lately I've adopted some practices which have helped to reduce the discomfort and grodiness of poorly shaven skin.

- when I shave, it's always after I've been in the shower. The steam from the hot water opens up your pours and makes your skin softer.
    - while in the shower, gently exfoliate your beard. That helps to strip away layers of dead skin, remove ingrown hairs, contributes to the skin softening and works the hair away from the skin. I've found this to be extremely helpful.
    - I've been told that using multi-blade razors in some cases can be a bit of a problem for sensitive skin. Something about removing too much of the hair, while it's in the follicle. This apparently contributes to more ingrowns. I started using a two blade razor, and while it takes longer to get a close shave, my skin feels less horrible as an end result.
    - DO NOT use alcohol based shaving gels... they dry out your skin... Use a non-alcohol based creme. If you have sensitive skin, they make tons of products geared toward people with that concern. I use Nivea for men, for sensitive skin. It's pretty mild and gets the job done.
    - Shaving in long, deliberate strokes is good. Not shaving against the grain of the hair is good, too. If you remove all of the lather from your face, don't be affraid to apply more. The lather softens the hair, making it easier to cut.
    - use luke warm water to rinse your face.
    - if you have problems with bumps, they make a product called "Bump Eraser". It comes in a blue spray bottle. It smells kind of minty and feels like deep cold, but it does the trick. It's been keeping my skin clear since I started using it on problem areas.
    - and the most important thing is to mosturize after shaving. It helps.

Hope that's helpful.

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think multi-blade razors are actually worse than single-bladed ones. They have more places for hair to get stuck, which will then scratch your face while you continue shaving.

I use one of these, and despite what the marketing people would have us believe it actually shaves my face just fine!

It doesn't clog up with scratchy hair, and replacement blades are dirt cheap. Sure I've never seen David Beckham holding one on an advert, but for me (maybe I'm weird, I don't know) that's not a big deal.

7. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Your razor is fine..

It is your shave cream/gel.

Use this: http://www.groominglounge.com/ur-sf.html (watch out for price shock)

It is expensive, but it lasts about 4-5 months and IMHO is more than worth it. I had some seriously sensitive skin and after swapping razor after razor and spending probably thousands on finding the right stuff, I think I can say that (for me at least) it is the best stuff EVER. No more razor bumps or irritation for me!! ;)

It's all natural and it has a great smell as well.

8. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Well, can someone tell me where I can buy these kinds of products locally? This has all been very helpful.

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

10. +1 to the razor not being the problem

11. I find this works....

don't use cheap disposable razors

use decent two or three bladed ones.

use a good foam - I use noxema menthol - it's ace.

use warm/hot water

use a moisturiser - neals yard aftershave balm is excellent, but pricey.

if you can, only skip one day max - there's less resistance when shaving shorter hairs, and the blades will last a lot longer.

12. Yeah, it is your shave gel/cream. I have somewhat sensitive skin and I use the gillette sensitive skin cream. It works when I shave, which isn't often because I usually have a beard.

lowsound

13. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I have extremely sensitive skin and used to have issues until I developed my current method:

- I only shave every other day. This works for me because my facial hair doesn't grow that fast.
    - I start off the morning by rubbing my face with hot water to get the pours open.
    - I use shaving soap to later my face with a badger hair brush
    -I shave using an old Gillette model that has the 2 blades + various micro strips. Someone posted a pic of a single bladed razor that I might try.
    - When I finish shaving I jump into the shower and wash the area with oatmeal soap.
    - When I get out of the shower I put lotion on my face.

I never get burns