1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a good replacement 15" speaker...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basstovsky, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A year or so back I blew the speaker out of a nice 1x15 cab I had (speaker had been previously replaced with a jensen rated at less wattage than stock) but got a nice peavey cab from a friend for cheap, and with 2 10's and 2 12's I thought it was perfect. Now I'm playing things where I want a good deep thick bass sound, and while the peavey has decent bass response, it doesn't match up to that old 15".

I don't have a ton of dough until we start gigging, so I'm looking for something under $100, and I only need it to be 100 watts, or perhaps a little higher just to be safe. Can be 4 or 8 ohms. It doesn't have to be hi-fi, and it definitely doesn't need to be new, I'd just as rather get suggestions of things to look for on ebay or CL, a nice old used speaker will do me fine. I just need a good 15" to bring out the nice deep low-mids and bass of my P-bass.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Look at the used ads in your area and try a few out. Nothing new will be under $100.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
  5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You need to provide the box measurements (inside ideal) and the depth and dimensions of any ports for anyone to provide a meaningful suggestion.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I thought the OP wanted a complete cabinet.

7. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Internal dimensions of the cab are 20" tall, 18.5" wide, 10" deep. No ports.

I've heard good things about Eminence, and also found that the Jensen MOD series is affordable. Thanks for the info so far!

8. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Dropped one in a Randall I bought at a yard sale for $60 with blown drivers, works great for rehearsals and the tone is excellent. Bought it for 5 string, not arenas.

YMMV.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    At 2 cf sealed you are going to have some abysmal bass performance. I would suggest you get a PA or guitar type woofer with a high Xlim and just accept that it's not going to take a lot of watts and not going to sound terribly bassy...or drop the cabinet and buy something else.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A medium high Qts driver will work OK in a small sealed cab; the Eminence Beta 15 is a good one for the application. It won't go real low, but the midbass bump will let it go as loud as can be expected in a small cab with not much power.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good call :)

Based on reading the OP again I think the midbass hump is right what he's after too.

12. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That sounds more up my alley, I'm not playing a fiver and we're only detuned half a step so I don't need gobs of lows, but I just need more than a cab with 10's and 12's is giving me.

I remember getting a decently bassy tone from this cab compared to the current one (was only a day or two between the speaker blowing and getting the current cab) so it might not have as much lows as others prefer, but its closer to what I need than what I currently have :D

Regardless this is mostly temporary till we get gigging and I have some money to spare to upgrade my rig.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020