1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a head for my Eden 6x10 XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jul 8, 2012.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Just as the title says, recommend a head for my Eden 6x10 xlt. I used a navigator in the past, but was forced to sell it. I am looking for a single unit now.
    I would like to hear from Eden users only.

2. Durden26

Durden26

Mar 19, 2012
    H-town, Texas
    I've been running a Glockenklang Soul head into 2 410xlts for about 8 years. Love the tone. Nice and clean or growly depending on how you want it. Built totally bomb proof. Its the Mercedes of Bass amps. I Hump my stack constantly.

3. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    I use either my WT800a or my Mesa BB 750. One is clean and the other is dirt.

Edit: With my (2) 410xlts

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WT-550.

5. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    What did you like about your Navigator? What type of sound are you going for?

I have been digging my Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 through my D410XLT8 quite a bit. If you are simply trying to recreate your old sound, you may want to just stick with Eden then. Heck, maybe try the new DNA amp. Then you could write a sweet review for the rest of us. :ninja:

http://dnaamps.com/blog/category/news/products/

6. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I don't mean to sound negative, but to me, the question is a bit like:
    "I have a Buick Regal; where do you suggest I drive it?"
    Well, where do you want to go?

A cab has certain tonal characteristics. The flat response curve of different amps will vary; each will compound the cab's characteristics in slightly different ways.

But heads also have all sorts of EQ. And your bass and choice of strings is another variable.

And who knows what style of music you play, how loud you need to play, pick or fingers, and general tonal preferences.

The replies you'll hear will be other folks' favorite heads. All worthy contenders, probably.
    But really, any quality head that's a rough power match for that cab will get you there, right?

Seems to me you need to decide what features and characteristics are important to you -- within your budget. Then start trying some.

7. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Eden WT-800... bridge-mono.

:hyper:

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Originally I was thinking I would go with an Eden head. There is some weird part about me that feels the head and cab should match ( I know, silly thinking).

I did like the navigator thru this cab, however, I like the sound of the GB streamliner 900 even better.

It really seems to take some of the harshness out of the mids of the cab. The over all sound is not as harsh and cutting. It's a little rounder and more.......pillowy.

I use my streamliner with my practice rig (212 neo x) and want a head just for the 6x10.

I mainly play funk,soul,rnb type stuff( finger style).

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Bass Place has the GBE 750 new for 695....seems like a good deal to me.

10. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    For that price you could pick up a new SM 9.2 head, or a Shuttle 9.2. It can be a very clean and articulate force to push your cab. Do you have a good bass store near you? It seems like a bit of a pain, but if you want to really find out what would work best, see about dragging your cab down to the store and get some A/B action going. There are plenty of great options out there. I only mention the Genz Benz because you already have the Streamliner, and you seem to like the sound.

11. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Good point. Yes I have "The Bass Place" in Phoenix. I should check out the Shuttle. I'm really loving the GB stuff. I just can't let go of the 6x10 cab. Even though I rarely use it. When I need it I need it.

12. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Yeah.. don't get rid of that cab. That is a solid cab. Another thing to consider is if you end up going the GB route, you could always run an Eden WTDI in front of your amp to give you the Eden flavor you dig.

This clip has a lot of talking, but it does demonstrate some sweet clear tones.

13. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    I recently picked up a 212XLT for my gig-rig. I have been running it with my Hartke LH1000. It's been a great rig with plenty of beef and low end. I get a lot of compliments on the sound, especially when using a bass with round wounds.

It can get muddy and I have to make an adjustment if using a bass with flats, but it still got a great sound to it once dialed in.

14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I've had the Eden 610 xlt & it NEEDS the shuttlemax 9.2. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the mids... The 9.2 max is going to help you EQ out that upper mid range honk thats in that cab. Being able to set the parametrics to match where that is in both the low & high mids will be huge.

Trust me here. I sold my 610xlt a long time ago because of that mid honk but I think you'd have a shot of making that cab totally rock with the right amp. I have a Streamliner & I could see it working as well but not as good as the 9.2max UNLESS you have a certain tone in your mind you just really want.

15. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for all of the input fellas. I am going to look into the GB stuff first. It would be nice to have a streamliner and a shuttle.

16. My recommendation as well.