1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a keyboard or synth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I got my tax return and I'd love to get tryout some keys and/or synth. I'd like a 3 octave unit, so it's not a giant hassle to take places. I really like the demos I've seen of the Micro Korgs, but I'm not a fan of the small keys. Also I'd like something that can sound like a regular piano/keyboard and do strings as well. Looking to stay in the $500 and under range.

2. Vic - do a quick search. You should be able to come up with several recent threads (probably not in the "Miscelaneous" forum, though).

3. spalatalatan

spalatalatan

Jan 10, 2009
    MA
    You are the worst foes. The "Do a Searchers".

(especially when its a guy with a 140 posts telling a guy with over 2500 to...)

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I have searched, I can't what I'm looking for. A 3 octave board that can do piano tones, strings and a bit of synth without going midi. The Micro Korg and Micron came up quite a bit but won't do piano or strings, but there was mention of getting a rhodes sound out of one of them.

5. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
  6. The Juno 6 is a great synth, I used to have a Juno 60

7. Huh... so my say doesn't count here? Puh-lease.

I do have internet presences outside of this forum, and I'm plenty savvy with message boards. God knows how many hours I've wasted on these things... I just happen to be mostly a lurker here. The "only 140 posts" is weak sauce in my book. Weak.

I recall having several synth discussions that I personally posted on... so other then rehashing out what I've already written, it stood to reason.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    For that kind of money, I recommend the Yamaha SO3.

I prefer the 88-key weighted synths, but I'm po' (not wealthy enough to afford the whole word to be poor) so I have an Alesis QS8.1. It doesn't suck. But I wish I could have bought a fully weighted Yamaha. The SO8 would be nice. But what I really want is the Motif XS8...pant pant pant...I'm sorry. I got carried away.

I'll reiterate.

For $500, your best bet for sounds is the Yamaha SO3.

9. If you want something a bit cheaper, I recently picked up a 61-key "Hand Roll Piano" from Amazon.com; normally $200 on sale for $100. 5 Octave + 1 key, 128 tones (bass, guitar, flute, clarinet, even stuff like koto...) and 100 rhythm synth. Also MIDI output if you need it. Mostly for learning & practice, but the roll-up design makes it nice to drag it around with you during the day when you know you're going to be waiting here, there...etc.