1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recommend me a light 5-string that can really handle a B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spectorbass83, May 15, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I love my Spector Euro 5 but it starts to hurt my neck/back after a long gig. I'm definitely not getting rid of it, but I would like to get a lighter bass as a 2nd bass so that I dont have to use the Spector the whole night. Any recommendations?

I play in an alternative rock band, we are pretty heavy and pretty loud - think Foo Fighters/Dredg/Godsmack all rolled into one.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    how light is light for you?

all the best,

R

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I have no idea what your budget is, but a Skjold would be my recomendation.

To quote Ferris Bueller - If you have the means, I highly recomend picking one up. Its so choice.

4. I'll have to agree with Juneau. I have two Skjolds.. and botha re very lightweight. My fretted mahogany custom series is one of the heaviest basses Pete has ever made, and it weighs less than 9 pounds. And it handles the low B as well or better than anything I've ever played.. (Roscoe(s), Sadowsky, SR5, Warwick, Fbass, and others)

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Matt Pulcinella - mpguitars.com

Either the Level 5 or the Level 5JJ if you're into a more vintage vibe.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Spector,

What's your price point?

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have checked out the Skjold website..Im in Windsor ontario canada and it is pretty much impossible to find a Skjold dealer here to even try one.

I guess light would be 7-9lbs for me.

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    pricepoint - $1000

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I love my The Bass Company.
    Chambered body, awesome B, and the price can't be beat for the quality.

Course they seem to be disappearing as a company at the moment...

10. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    If you like the Spector tone, what about a Rebop 5? Same design as the Euro, half the weight, great tone and tight B.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    When you're looking the in the $1000 range, it's gonna be hard to find a consistently light bass. Most basses in that range will have heavy ones and light ones. Even in a range of basses that weigh typically 9 pounds, you can still find an 11 pound bomber among the batch. Not much you can do other than try em out in person or have a salesperson put the particular bass on a scale and weight it.

Another thing to consider is the shape of the bass, and yours. A bass that's heavy may feel lighter depending on the distribution of that weight against your body type. The Spector is a comfortable body shape for many, and if it's comfy for you, it'll have to be taken into consideration. You may find a bass that's lighter, but may not be as comfy as your Spector.

At the under $1000 price point the only guaranteed lightweight bass will be something like a Hofner-style bass or a Steinberger. And unfortunately for me, the Steinberger is too uncomfortable for me to play.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

If you really look around you can find a light lakland skyline 5, sorry i didint see your $1000 budget before.

14. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    ooo, how about a chambered Warmoth body?
    would give you a nice light bass...

15. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    Another thing to consider is the strap you're using. It's amazing how a good wide strap can distribute the weight. You've got an expensive and heavy bass there and it warrants a good strap. Something in 4" width would be a noticeable difference. Get something that is padded or made with layers of sturdy leather. You can get a great strap for about $20 on eBay - Italiastraps is the seller. If you don't mind a long wait, you'll get a solid strap that looks great. Your back will thank you.

If you haven't tried a wide strap, it is certainly worth a try before you drop a grand on a new bass... not to mention the money you spent on a bass that will sit in a closet.

16. I think the above poster has a good point. Check out 'Comfort Strapp'. I don't own one but I've used them several times in stores and in the studio. They're plain black, thickly padded, and I reckon you could wear a desk around your neck without problems. They're £25 in the UK so I'm guessing at $35 Canadian.

As to other basses I'm not sure what yours weighs. I don't find a 3 or 4 hour practice wearing my 10lb Music Man to not be a problem, but people are different.

17. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Glad to see a fellow Spector Euro 5 player! Good choice!

I'm very slightly built (ie skinny!), and I use a Levy's 2" polypropylene strap (M8POLY is the product code). Admittedly I don't gig yet, but I use it for quite long lessons, and to be honest I don't really find it a problem weight wise. Just my opinion I suppose.