1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a Mesa setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Maybe you guys can help me pick out a Mesa Boogie rig.
    I don't know which amp to get, but I do know that I prefer cabs with 10'' speakers.

Maybe you can help me pick out a Mesa amp + cab based on what I'm into.

I play in a band that is very Alter Bridge, Tool influenced.
    I play Stingrays and Jazz basses. 4 string 85% of the time, sometimes 5.
    I rarely use overdrive, I like my tone very clean and rich.

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    may i ask why mesa?

3. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I like my M-Pulse Venture 600W 2x10 combo a lot. It does the clean-yet-rich sound very well. It especially makes bright-sounding basses sound very warm -- perfect for a stingray. You could drive an extra 8-ohm 2x10 or 4x10 cab from it also (I use a 1x15 with mine).

If you're into the same tone but very high volume, you could probably do no better than the M-Pulse head driving two 4x10s.

Or, if you're into an easier carry, two 2x10s (that would be my choice, personally, but I play different music).

I have heard great things about the Carbine heads too ; have not tried one though, just the M-Pulse line.

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I use a Titan V12, which I love, but from what you describe, the Carbine line of heads sounds perfect.
    I'm not very familiar with Mesa cabs, so...... I'll let others chime in.

5. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Venture combo of the older 2x10 variety. Its a great amp, but i think it really shines when the gain is pushed enough to get some of the tube scrunch going. Not saying it wont' do clean and rich...just think there are better options for that sound. I've played through and would recommend the Carbine M6 through a PH410 for what you describe.

6. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    If I may ask, why are you leaning towards the 10 inchers? Their 215 sounds MONSTEROUS!

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    get the best of both worlds. get a powerhouse 1000 (or 1200 I believe their making now) with four 10 speakers and one 15 speaker. Heavey yes. Worth it definitely. As for the head Id go all tube, mesa400+ if you can get one used. Should be about 1000 dollars, the cab should be about 200 300 more used. The 400+ can deliver rich warm tones like no ones business and can also be overdriven. I play fingerstyle and dont get overdriven when pushing it hard. EQ has a lot to do with it and how you setup master volume and gain on the channels.

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I'll second the powerhouse 1200. IMO, tens don't do it and neither do fifteens. Together, they kill. Twelves, OTOH, do it on their own. Their 212 and 412 sound particularly awesome. As for a head, I'd hit up one of the new Carbines. I kinda like 'em better than my WalkAbout and 400+, and they're not slouches.

9. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I am gassing for a 400+, why not you too? =P

10. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I've got a Mesa V12 Titan and PH412 cab. With a Stingray, I can nail 46&2 and H. The OD is good, but the clean is as clean and punchy as you want. Specifically for the bands you listed, I think the Titan would rock.

11. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Are you this guy?

12. Get a 400+, or 400 or D-180 if you can find them.

Drive an 8x10 or 2x15, or 4x10 + 2x15 with it.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

FWIW, I've A/B'd my Powerhouse 610 against both the PH 1000 and PH 1200, and to *my* ears, the 610 definitely "do it" - to each their own, though...

- georgestrings

14. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I'll support the 400+ option.

You can only get 'em used now, Mesa discountinued them a while ago. I snagged mine for $895. It's a super head...might not be clean enough for you though...some people have felt that, though there is a mod for the driver pre-amp tube that cleans up the signal.

15. I have a M6 and a PH 4x10 and the tone is phenomenal!! I also use a Stingray and its great. With the 4x10 really tight lows punchy mids and niceeeee trebles, in the words of Borat " Its niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccceeeeeee"

16. Gwardar

Gwardar Supporting Member

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    I play StingRay through M-Pulse 600 and Powerhouse 4x12. Initially I thought it was the best sound of them all.

It was so until I played it through MarkBass Little Tube 800 and MarkBass 4x10 HR cab.:bag:

Sorry Mesa - you loose. MB is half the price too.

I would recommend shopping around and trying the sounds of a few setups rather than going for an acclaimed fashion icon. Surely Mesa is one.

17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I'm guessing you could probably do better than 1200-1300 used, as they are $1400 brand new. http://store.mesahollywood.com/0-p5410-amb.html

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Titan + 810 all the way, assuming you can transport the 810. Otherwise an 8 ohm 4x10 would get you more or less the same tone in a smaller package, be perfectly power matched with the head, and allow you to add a second 410 if you ever "need" it.

The Titan is an amazing head. It'll do crushing clean, it'll do polite clean, it'll do slightly dirty, and it'll do all out tube meltdown. Always sounds great.

I've been playing some Tool songs with my cover band lately, and the Titan is perfect. I use mine with an Aguilar GS412 though, but since you said 10s we won't go there :)

19. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Yeah, that's me. I'm going to do a new one as soon as I get back to my recording guy. I know a lot more about the amp now. That was my first time playing my amp.

20. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Yeah but shipping should be some additional $$$, but youre right maybe 1100 sounds more reasonable.