1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hi !

I'm thinking of replacing a big and heavy 1x15 combo I have for a lighter and smaller combo. List of requirements :
    - Loud enough for occasional small band jams, ie drummer and 1 guitar w/half stack. I would live with an amp that get enough volume with an extra cab added.
    - Punch and clarity is more important then rumble (I'd need some rumble still, but you get the picture). I'm less a 15 inch speaker guy, I always prefered 10s (my main amp is an SVT with an 8x10, but no need to have a sound similar to an SVT with the small amp)
    - Light and portable and small.
    - Good sound at low volume for studio and practice use.
    - Can handle a low B and an Octave pedal without busting the speaker.
    - Price : let's keep this under a grand, 600-700 or lower would be something I'd appreciate, if realistic.
    - Sound quality over volume.

What do you say ?

2. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  3. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    +1 I love mine. Great sounding amp and loud if need be. Check out the various MB 210 threads on TB

4. M3 Carbine (Mesa).

Attached Files:

5. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ

I cant wait for this amp...

6. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Under a grand?

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Glockenklang "Soul" combo(there's a couple of different configurations).
    Or the "Passenger" combo ...also by Glockenklang-best conventional bass amps I know if this kind of clean tone thing is what you are after.
    And...Made in Germany :)

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
  9. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i've never played through the GK amps but they are LIGHT. GC employee asked me to pick it up and i damn near threw it. if i needed light i would pick one up on the spot.

10. dkhp124

dkhp124

Nov 14, 2007
    +1 on the GK mb210... they're incredibly light, and the sound quality is great at both soft AND loud volumes.

11. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    I believe the Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo would fit your criteria. I've had one for about 10 years now and absolutely love it.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those GK combos really are impressive. So are the Ibanez Prometheans. And don't forget the Genz-Benz Shuttles or the Fender TV's!

Tom.

13. I was interested in the shuttles, but I was advised not to go with the 3.0 1x10 or 1x8 combos if I were to use an octave pedal on occasion... and the 1x12 combo is just a bit too much over my budget.

14. OH ! Expensive around here ! Around 1,5K $ just for the Soul head ! Not in my price range. Looks like a nice amp though.

15. Have anyone compared the MB 210 to Hartke Hydrive combos and SWR Workingpros ? I was told those 2 were good (by some guy in a shop... so I have to check now don't I ?)

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd have to agree with that about the 3.0 combos. But FWIW, IME/IMHO, the Shuttle 6.0/12 is the sweet spot of that lineup. Well, that and the 9.0 head. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

17. Would the Promethean combo work though ?

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I would think so. Those are quite nice, and definitely able to hang with the competition. They also seem very comfortable on the super-low stuff, so that octave pedal shouldn't be a problem.