Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a new multi-effects unit.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LA, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Boss ME-50B

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. Boss GT6B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Digitech BNX3

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Line6 Bass POD XT Live

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'm seriously considering the BOSS ME-50B, but would like some quick opinions on the other units in the poll, as well as other units I might not be aware of. Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    how much do you have to spend?
    what's more important to you - effects or modelling?
    what effects will you use most?
    any other requirements?

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Oh, about 400 USD. Probabaly 450, if I have to buy the AC adapter separately. :cool:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what about the other questions?

All the units have their pros and cons, but how much they fit your requirements depend on what your requirements are. Some are more aimed at amp moddelling, with fx somewhat as an extra (such as the bass pod). Some have no modelling (me-50b). etc etc

5. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I'm also going to buy a Me50b, great for the price, but if you have enough money go for the Digitech, maybe the best pedalboard out now.

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I agree with the effect guru. Determining what you want and don't want is the first step.

For example, I have no interest in amp modelling. so I neither consider it to be a pro nor a con.

Pros:
    - easy to use. No menus just knobs.
    - easy to program sounds into memory
    - easy to recall sounds live
    - synergy of combining, programming and recalling sounds.
    - effect modelling. Rather than just an effect, you can emulate classic bass effects. Like the dbx 160 compressor's 'squishy' sound and the SansAmp's 'gritty' distortion.

Cons;
    - sythesiser sucks. Not a big deal if you don't like this effect. I do an use an Akai Deep Impact for this.
    - no parametric EQ. This is one of my favorite bass effects. I use a NE-1 for this.
    - limited flexibility. There are not the full parametres that you get on many stand alone effects. That said, the presets were determined by people who know what bass players want.

Bottom Line
    BOSS struck a good balance between functionability and useability.