1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a passive PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gil_mor, Sep 27, 2009.

1. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Hey all,
    I play rock funk jam kind of stuff, I've been searching for the right bass for a while, went through a few basses, think I'm ready for the next one.

My main bass is my Squire PJ with DP126/7 that I just love.
    I've had a Peavey USA Cirrus - wasn't punchy enough, sold it.
    I have 2009 USA Jazz, punchy as hell, not sure if there's enough Thump to it.
    I just bought a 85 Precision lyte deluxe, isn't punchy enough, going to sell it.

So, I'm thinking - PJ, possibly on a P bass with a J pickup, rather then a jazz with P pickup.

Has to be passive.

Budget is under a $1000 used.

What do you say?

2. knuppe

knuppe

Oct 25, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    A yamaha BB5000, if you can find one... Set up right, they´re up there with the best of the best. I you don´t want the five strings, go for a BB3000... That´s my advice.

3. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Hmm, I'll research those.
    What do you think about G&L sb-2?

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    +1 for this one. The original BB's were simply stunning.

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    +1 for the Fender Jazz Bass Special. Also, check out a Yamaha BB414

6. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    There is a Tony Franklin sig P-bass for sale atm in the classifieds... if unlined fretless is your kinda thing.

7. Maybe a fretted Tony Franklin? Those are cool- I want one actually.

8. I'd try one out, if possible, to see if it's your thing, but anything G&L is pretty much killer in my book.

Also, have you thought about just trying new pickups in one of your current basses? If you have one you really like the feel of, then this may be a better idea then getting a whole new bass.

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    there was a red/maple california series precision special in classifieds - great basses.

10. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Ibanez Roadstar II deluxe, RB924, - if you can find one. The neck pup is shaped like a soapbar, but it's a P, the bridge is 3 way switchable, jazz, hum, or out of phase hum. GREAT bass.
    IbanezRB9242.

11. Fender Aerodyne Jazz. It's my favorite axe to use live (and I have an exquisite MIA Jazz and vintage P to choose from).

12. String up the Jazz with some LaBella flats and enjoy the thump. Cheaper than buying a whole new bass. ;)

13. +1. D'Addario Chromes will save you needing to buy a new bass.

14. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    for what it's worth, i was looking for something similar (in a 5) and ended up getting a fender standard p-bass 5 and i love it!!! i don't miss the jazz pup at all, and i thought it was.
    other consideration, the fender frank bello signature jazz. i know you prefer the p-bass body, but it might be worth considering.

15. another idea.... custom valenti p-bass! :D
    have him build exactly what you want! and they aren't very expensive. im gas'n really bad for one, myself. valentibasses.com

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  17. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Fender Tony Franklin, or change the strings on your Jazz as some are suggesting.

18. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    fender aerodyne?

japenese. pretty cool looking.

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    How about a Musicman Stingray? Or a Lakland 44-02(Stingray ish but with a fuller sound).