1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me a power amp/cab setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systolic, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Hey guys. So I decided to go this route after having the epiphany that I always use a pre-amp and so there is no need for me to have a traditional bass amp.

I'm basically a novice when it comes to all the technical aspects of knowing what plays well with what. So I've come to you all for guidance.

So I need a power amp that will play nice with a ZOOM B3 and a VT Bass Deluxe (separate applications,) as my pre-amp(s.) I know the VTBD has issues with input sensitivity with certain amps.

Cabinet wise, I'm in the process of deciding between going with 2x12 or 15" plus a mid driver. Either way, I need to be able to add an extension cab for gig size flexibility. So I would think I need either 8 ohm cabs or an amp that is kosher with running a 2 ohm load (2 x 4 ohm cabs)........right? :confused:

I suppose I don't need a ton of power as this setup is all i'm running. So I would think a 1000w-1500w should be sufficient? Just need enough room to really crank it and dig in.
    I've looked at the Carvin DCM1000L and the Peavey IPR1600 as i've read that Crown stuff has compatibility issues with the VTBD.

I do as much research and learning as I can before I come to you guys, but this stuff sure can be confusing. :help:

2. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Bump

3. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    The Carvin is pretty good, I like their power amps in general. It should also go well with the VTBD... and call me old fashioned, but 15" @ 4 Ohms allows you to add another, like a 4x10, and go 2 Ohms for huge sound with a full stack for the big gig. A 15 and a 4x10 IMO makes the best sound... but it's only my opinion, you'll have to see what you like best.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What size venues are you gigging at?

What's your budget?

What's your transportation?

What music?

What are the other members of your group gigging with?

5. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin

Budget: Budget is tight, going used. About $500(ish)

Transportation: Not an issue

Music: Everything, but mostly rock. Both modern and classic.

Members: Drummer, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, me. Nobody is overly loud. I'm never really competing with anybody too much.

Currently using a Peavey Tour 450 into a Peavey 410TVX.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Crown K1.

AcmeBass.com LowB2 or LowB4.

7. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Tryin' to get away from 10's.

8. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Sensitivity on that amp is 1.4V... too high. The VTD wants to see 1V or less. Carvin works for that. I'd probably go IPR (0.75V).

I own a VTD & IPR 3000. Can confirm the combo plays nice with each other, & the 1600 would do the same.

9. Yes, Carvin is good...........

The rest :rollno:

10. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    We're making progress here.

11. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    No Peavey for you Bass_Pounder?

12. I have had great results using a Crown XLS1500, I've used it with several preamps including my VT-bass and always had plenty of headroom

13. Peavey IPR and a used 15/6.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

If you need a 1.0v input sensitivity, I would buy a Crest ProLite or a Peavey IPR. Carvin is good too.

I have the Crest and it works great and is simple. And re $350-00 new.

My Crown XLS is complicated and has a 1.4v input sensitivity. Works for me, but you likely need 1.0v.

15. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I'll take a look at the Crest Prolite too, thanks Baird