Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juneau, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey everyone, starting to think more seriously about a component approach to my rig. Im wondering if you guys might suggest some reasonably priced power amps. Here is what Im looking for:

Usable in a 4ohm Bridged setting
    About 500W or so, give or take.
    Clean, transparent power
    Rack mounted, with lower weight being better.
    SS is fine, I will have a tube pre.
    Id like to keep it to $500 or less.

If there are other features you think might be a factor in my decision that I may not know about, by all means, educate me :)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I love my QSC PLX2402!

Any of the PLX series from 1200 watts to 3400 watts weighs just 21 lbs., takes up 2 rack spaces and will make you very happy. They have built in limiters, built in low frequency filters (to protect your speakers) selectable at 30 or 50 Hz, can run stereo (2 ohms per channel), dual mono (2 ohms per channel) or bridged (4 ohms). Bob Lee (QSC) is an active member here so we have a friend/advocate in the engineering department of QSC... Can't get any better than that!!!

You can probably get a PLX 1602 used within your budget...maybe even a 2402...I haven't checked used prices in a while.

I'd recommend that you get more than 500 watts... You don't have to use them all, but the headroom will clean up your sound, help preserve your speakers and give you room to upgrade later without having to buy another power amp. Besides the amp will run cooler and consequently probably last much longer.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Probably a good idea on the more watts than I need approach. I was concerned about price with the bigger heads, but found some of the PLX 1602's on ebay for $550-600ish, which isnt bad. Still a little more than Id like to spend, but reasonable if I decide to go that way.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

4. Carvin makes a reasonably priced power amp. I used one for some time, and never had any problems with it. It did what a power amp is supposed to do. This one is only $329.

I would be very cautious about buying a used power amp. I have heard horror stories.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want to go lightweight, I would recommend the Stewart World series. If you don't mind a little extra weight, the Crest CA6 or CA9 are my faves. This is more power than you "need", but I agree that this is a good thing.

With any luck, either can be found in your price range, used.

Tom.

6. Just keep in mind, lighter means pricier.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just to give a little more info, Im looking for an amp to go with my Skjold Design Pre-amp that I will have eventually, and a Shroeder mini 12 w/ horn. Thats why Im looking at lighter because everything else will already be very compact and portable. The mini 12 will handle anything up to 600W.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Stewart World series. Pick your flavor. Jack Read recommends them with his pre's, and Pete's looks to be of the same ilk.

Tom.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Cool, even new isnt bad at all on the price, and I bet I can find a used one for probably $400 or so so that might be perfect. Thanks for the help Tom and everyone :)

10. Another plug for Stewart. I'm lovin' the World 1.6.

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    There's been a Stewart World 1.2 for sale on either www.bassgear.com or Harmony Central for $400 for the last couple of days. Don't know whether the guy's sold it or not.

12. Stewart, anything from Pro 1000 to World series;
    or if you're on a budget get the Carvin DCM1000.
    Bought one new for $300.00 and it's a very reliable unit.

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'm lovin' my World 2.1 , absolutely thumpin'...
    your'e gonna need bananna plugs to hook it up
    { sorry for the blurry picture ...}

Attached Files:

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I would avoid the stewart world 600 like the plague. I have one and it's completely unreliable bridged into 4 ohms--it goes into shutdown at the drop of a whole note. I use it only on low volume gigs. Other stewarts may be fine

15. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    If you (or someone else) can carry it, I would think the QSC RMX1850HD a very practical amplifier for bass players.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Crown power amps. I have owned a few, and they always performed like a champ. Put out some serious power, and sounded great.

-Mike

17. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    My Carvin DCM600 has been pretty good to me coupled to my SVP-Pro. Its pretty quiet and transparent, and the price was right at the time of purchase for a college student working at a small town grocery store (ahhh....life was so much easier then..... :smug: )