Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 11, 2005.

1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I'm running a P-bass into a Trace Elliot GP12X preamp, (need poweramp), into a SS 2X12.

I'm thinking about a Carvin, but dont know. Need some suggestions, I am on a budget so I need something relatively cheap, willing to buy used to get better quality, but need something clean and somewhat powerful....thanks

2. QSC RMX850

$299 shipped from American Musical. Bridgable, 830 watts into 4 ohms....

and comes with helpful support on this forum from Bob Lee.

3. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    That one may fit the bill....

Any others?

Thoughts on the Carvin amps?

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I don't have experience with Carvin's power amps in a bass rig, but I have a lowish opinion of most of their products (mostly from PA's I've used and guitar rigs used by people I've played with).

Used QSC plx's are often around at great prices... and the smaller ones even new are inexpensive.

I bought a used Stewart 1.2 (and have seen several others for sale) in the $300 to $400 range... I'm very happy with mine so far. Loud, clear, and lightweight.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite SS power amps for bass rigs are the Crest CA9 series, though certainly some of the Crown amps would also work very well. Sure, these lead sleds are pretty heavy, but for me, I find them to be worth the "extra" weight. Of course, a VR350 (which I have, and plan to use with my GP12 SMX) or VR400 would be the ultimate way to go! :p

Tom.

6. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1 to that

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether or not to switch to a TFunk mainly because of my CA9. I <3 it and can't seem to convince myself to let it go.

If you can afford a new one or find a decently priced used CA9 and don't mind the weight... GO FOR IT :bassist:

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just got one for $375, which is surprisingly low, if you ask me.

Tom.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to own a Carvi DCM1500 and I loved it. It was very relaible,, full of features and very powerfull and light, (23lbs), compared to most power amps. And you can get them very cheap in the US. I live in Puerto Rico and I paid a little bit more than what you pay in the states, an I still considered it a bargain.

Peace...

9. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Nice pickup Tom. That is ridiculously cheap. :hyper:

10. +1 No Joke there....About the cheapest I have seen is $425.00 and I thought THAT was cheap!!

Peace,

T

11. I recently got one of the new behringer EP1500 power amps. Bridged into 4 ohms it puts out 1400 watts. It sounds really good, and the components are all top quality. Look at the site.

I suppose the only problem I have with it is it's really deep and weighs a lot.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Always check Northern Sound and Light for prices on QSC. They blow everybody else out of the water.

13. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    So what about a Stewart World 1.2 or World 2.1?

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Don't own either, but heard nothing but goody goody about Stewie stuff. Only thing to consider about the 1.2 is that it's fanless. Granted i've hardly ever heard about it falling out when properly ventilated, but you do never know.
    I plan on buying a 1.6 or 2.1 sometime in the future.

I currently play a Peavey PV1500 (bridged @ 4 ohms=1500W, obviously), and it's done great so far. A lil underpowered it seemed when only running in Stereo @ 4 ohms, but now that I've got it bridged, that hardly matters. I got a killer deal on it (like $225 w/ shipping; been used 2 hours total), so that's why I snatched it up. peavey stuff can be a little weighty, but I know if anything ever happens to it (like falling out of the back of my truck), it'll still be good to go.

Have owned a QSC 1602 PLX and was a good amp from what I could tell. Didn't have it very long as I switched back to combo amps, and now am back with a modular setup... Go figure. :smug:

15. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I've owned a Carvin DCM1000 for about 2 years now and its a great amp. Lots of options, quiet, reliable and clean.

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you don't mind the weight and an amp taking up three rack spaces, you can pick up used Crest vs series for fairly cheap. I used a vs900 for a while but sold it when I go tired of it taking up three rack spaces.

edit: I just checked ebay and there are a couple on there with a buy it now price of $225.

17. What he said. I have the same model and really like it. Bass Player gave it a good review in a shootout some years ago. I run it with a Yamaha PB-1 preamp. Before I bought the Carvin, I was using a Yamaha P2201 power amp, another reliable, good sounding, workhorse piece of gear. You can probably get one cheap, although they are fairly heavy and take up 4 rack spaces.

Dan, how do you like your BBE preamp? I was toying with the idea of getting one. Do you have the tube or solid state version?