1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a replacement speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Jul 22, 2008.

1. So the day has finally came. My Goliath II Jr. has decided to eat it. :crying:

I'm over exaggerating. I noticed a slight buzz played along certain notes on my bass this afternoon while playing at a moderate volume. Figure to myself, "Might as well check if anything's loose inside!" Screw off the grill, pop out the tweeter, check inside for anything loose. No avail. Pop tweeter back in, disconnect left speaker, look around some more, then start playing around with bass. No more noise! :meh:

So my speaker's been torn/slightly blown/damaged. Wonderful. Thank god I don't have any serious gigs anytime soon, or I'd be in a heap of trouble. :eek: Which leaves me with my current dilema. Which replacement speaker should I buy? I figure it's cheaper then buying a new 2x10, and it's a fix i can most certainly do myself.

I was looking at these: http://www.bltsound.com/index.php?crn=115&rn=388&action=show_detail , and have heard a few good things about them on TB. Any comments/suggestions from the rest of the crowd would be killer though! I play mostly Reggae/Dub/Trip-Hop kind of music through a Basic 350 for those wondering.

Edit: Before I get flamed for being a noob, I did pop the speaker back in, wired it up, and the buzzing did return.

2. just get the speaker reconed.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just a note that when you mention Reggae, Dub, etc., it calls to mind a rather bass-heavy tone. I am afraid I don't have a good recommendation for a driver, but you may be in a situation where any mainstream 2x10 is not designed to handle a lot of power in the lowest register.

4. Surprisingly, my new Skyline JO with the flats comes out remarkably smooth through the 2x10. I've always been one for clarity over boom, and my little SWR seems to deliver everything I could wish for in spades. I am however considering getting a 1x15 to make a nice stack.

How/where do I go about doing that, and how much would it run?

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA

There might be a few companies in your area, like audio repair shops that do that. I almost bought a reconed SWR speaker not too long ago locally for around $50 or $60 bucks.

Its cheaper than a new speaker, but I hate getting them reconed, I'd rather just get a new one and not worry about something screwing up later on.

And fyi, my prices may be off, but thats the offer I got.

6. Yeah, new speakers is looking better and better by the post. I'd rather just pay the 10 bucks extra to ensure a brand new speaker. :meh:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A recone is every bit as good as a new speaker, plus you don't have to go through the torture of modeling through WinISD to make sure your new speakers will work.

8. WinISD? :confused:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, WinISD is torturous program to use that tells you whether a particular speaker is suited for your cab.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021