1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a scary/horror movie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. I've seen both Paranormal Activities over and over again, I've eaten large meals while watching Saw and the Human Centipede, so needless to say, scary and horror movies don't have the same effect on me as they may on some people. But I'm looking for a really scary movie that will get me screaming like a little girl... any recommendations?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you don't get scared by those, you probably won't get scared by anything else (huge horror fan, and almost nothing really scares me anymore). The Descent may be good if you have any enclosed space fears. Martyrs is scary, but in a much different way. I like a lot of 70s/early 80s horrors as the lack of finish/music makes them a bit creepier- the original Black Christmas is a good one.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Man, it's been a long time since I've seen you posting, how have you been?

In regards to movies - it seems like you need something more mental than visual. I don't know if I could help you there but when I was in my teens, the Exorcist scared the living crap out of me.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, the truly dark demonic possession stuff is the only thing doin it for me these days...everything else is cheap shock nonsense...

I thought The Last Exorcism, which came out last year, was pretty decent in the genre.

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Inside. May or may not have been made by the same folks that made Martyrs. I've never seen Salo but Inside is very much the most effed up movie I've seen to date.

6. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    I like the older stuff

Excorcist & Excorcist III was very good. Ex II sucked as well as the prequel

John Carpenter's "The Thing" still holds up well. (My favorite)

Guillermo del Toro is directing HP Lovecraft's "At The Mountains of Madness"
    Slated for release in 2013.

7. Movies like The Fourth Kind, and others like Cloverfield (with all that alien abduction nonsense) don't scare me because I know there will never be any alien abduction. At least I won't experience it. The scariest movie I have seen is The Nines (with Ryan Reynolds). That movie got me scared ****less...

I've been good. I was gone for ~4 years finishing my undergrad degree. I tried starting a band my freshman year, but time has been tight so that didn't happen. I just got accepted into University of Michigan grad school, so I have a summer free :smug:

As of movies, horror and scary movies don't scare me. Mystery movies scare me a lot more (see above).

Demonic possessions don't do it for me. I've seen all the exorcism movies. Most of them are horrible except for the original ones.

8. the opening scene in the grudge when she lights the lighter and the face is right behind her scared the crap outta me.. rest of the movie is stupid tho..

i dont really like scary movies at all..

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No kidding? Well, congrats!!

10. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    The Human Centipede didnt scare me at all. It made me want to vomit several times during the movie though....

11. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    update - GdT has "shelved" at the mountains of madness, but Stella James Studios will pursue the production

stellajamesstudios.com/pr-views

12. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    OR, you could always opt for a FACES OF DEATH marathon.

In the early 90s, me and my buddies used to drive to this indepedently owned video store on the "bad" side of town to get movies on weekends. Forget Blockbuster and Movie Gallery, we headed straight to this dilapidated looking building which was situated in between some projects, and a dangerous nightclub. We went one Sat. night and rented the 1st 4 Faces of Death and had us a marathon til Sun. morning. My friends mother almost tore our asses up though for going to that side of town, and for renting Faces of Death...lol

13. Alien, The Thing and The Descent are all good ones.

The Descent is one of the only recent horror films that is actually reasonably scary. On saying that, the latter half stops being scarey quite quickly.

Watching a lot of films desensitises you to horror tho.

I'd also recommend "IT". A film which scared the crap out of me when I first saw it, granted, I was 6 or 7 at the time. But it still creeps me the hell out!

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Scream is a must see! Be sure to anchor your popcorn before you begin squirming...

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quarantine was pretty great...the Spanish one.

16. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I like horror movies,so does my cousin.She loved and used to watch Japanese horror,after a while she quit watching. I got a few movies from her and understood why she quit.:atoz:

17. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Wrong Turn, Hostel, Last House on the Left - the new one but it's more of a revenge film.
    I Spit on Your Grave - the original, haven't seen the remake.

18. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Slaughterhouse- 1987
    A crazy farmer and his son (who's just as nutty as Dad and loves to chop up human beings) lament the fate of the skilled hog farmer, now replaced by modern slaughterhouses. When businessmen make an offer for their run-down farm, the pair refuse, so the local government condemns the place. Meanwhile, a group of kids decide to visit the decrepit farm to make a Halloween-type rock video. Looks like there'll soon be some slicin' and dicin' going on!

19. Will definitely check out all of these! Thanks for the suggestions!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Altered States is a good one, so is Event Horizon.

-Mike