1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Defiled, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Defiled

Defiled

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey all, I've recently bought a Rickenbacker 4003 and it is great but my old starter bass, is well...not in a good condition ^_^

I never cleaned it, when i play i get brown stuff on my hands haha. Also some of the electronics are a bit dodgy and the strap button comes out easily.

Anyway i need a cheap bass as a second. I keep hearing how great Squier's are now?

Those Vintage jazz modified ones look great! But how are they?

Recommend me some! (Or even a different brand ;))

Thanks guys

2. As has been said alot around these parts lately, they're great. Well mine is anyway.
    I'm well and truely past the honeymoon, and I'm still a fan of it. Great little bass for the price.

Also look into SX (Essex), I hear alot about them and they seem to be held in high esteem.

Cheers,

Dave.

3. I just purchased a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz and it's excellent. It cost me about $500 AUD and it blows away all the competition in the 'up to $1000' price range. It's a great Jazz bass. To me it doesn't feel cheap like my SX did. The finish is really good, the fit isn't perfect but any imperfections are not really noticeable unless you really try hard to find faults.

Tone wise it's great. It's a slap monster, too. I'm considering replacing the bridge on mine just to make the E string a little bit louder even though I'm still using the stock strings.

Basically, my opinion is that you can't go wrong with the VM Jazz.

4. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Yup, like our fellow bass playing brethren have been saying, the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is really value for money, and not bad quality for a budget brand bass. I'd recommend it, though I've never played a VM Jazz Bass. Why? I own a VM Precision Bass though, and I love the tone I can get out of it, especially when I use a better amplifier.

I mean, I hold my VM Precision in high regard, but seem to see everyone holding the VM Jazz in higher regard, without saying much about the VM Precision.. So I guess the VM Jazz is more popular. With that logic, I don't think you can go wrong with a VM Jazz. Do try one out before buying though. Not everyone likes the same kind of bass.

5. Haha that's the case with most things. The jazz gets all the love, while the P seems to be the underdog. I'm a P man, and I still love rockin' out on my Squier. Well built little beast, she is.

6. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Haha, that's great to hear. I have a thing for the sound of a P/J Bass though. Defiled, you might want to consider that? Gives you both the "punch" of a Precision bass and the "growl" of a Jazz bass. Though, such a bass doesn't come under the Vintage Modified series. Comes under the Squier Affinity and Standard series (go Standard though, I've heard terrible things about the quality of the Affinity series).

7. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I dunno, squires kinda went out with the feudal system. You might find one hard to come across, especially if you haven't been knighted . . .

Okay, obligatory "Squire" joke over. I'd suggest the Classic Vibe '50s P-bass or the P-bass Special, myself.

8. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    [​IMG]

I hear this Squire's pretty top notch.

9. Defiled

Defiled

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes of course much love to VM Precisions!! Im considering them aswell, infact i should of mentioned that in my original post.

Yeh i think im gonna stay away from the whole P/J thing, Never tried it, i would of thought it would be a bit noisy.

Anyway thanks for the info guys. Btw about gig bags/cases do regular fender ones fit or...?

10. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    You should at least try a P/J before dismissing them. I have a Yamaha P/J and I find it very useful.

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    How about one of these Squiers

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303075505