Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rudetayJP, Nov 1, 2005.

1. rudetayJP

rudetayJP

Jun 24, 2004
    I'm a very new double bass player. I have about 5 years of experience on electric, and recently decided that I would stop simply trying to imitate a double bass and actually play one. I got a cheap Chinese plywood bass to learn and play on.

As I learn I have been playing a combination of rockabilly and jazz, well a beginner's approximations of these styles. Right now I have the flat wound stiff strings that came with the bass, and my fingers have been dying from playing slap.

My question is, would you knowledgeable bass folk recommend a string (or combo of strings) for me to play that:

1) is not insanely priced
    2) will fit well with my plywood bass (I don't know enough about strings to know if this is worth worrying about, it just seems like some strings may be more inclined to the carved bass sound)
    3) will be able to cover most genres as I'm sure I will migrate back and forth as I learn.
    4) will not kill my fingers quite as much

I have gone through the thread of string information, but it is not of much help if you really don't know what you're looking for. Mixed sets and such would be fine I assume, again, I don't have much experience in this area and don't want to assume.

I love the "old school" traditional thump style tone, but I am also a fan of the modern rockabilly tone. Being an electric player switching to upright I always seem to be attracted to Reid Anderson's jazz tone from The Bad Plus.

So, I think I can summarize it by saying that I am far from finding my own tone, and I'm really just looking for a string that will guide me through learning and playing double bass in a way that will leave me with a sound I generally like.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are slapping a lot, you might want to try Labella Supernil. They are very soft feeling strings and very thumpy sounding. Also probably one of the cheapest sets you can get.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I always think of the "standard" jazz string as a Spirocore by Thomastik. Especially if you like Reid Anderson's tone (which is great, I agree).

I would suggest either the Weichs or Orchestra gauge. (Orchestra sometimes called mittle I think).

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a set of inovation rockabilly strings I was going to get rid of. I keep them around for backup but I just went through a string buying/trying phase..again, so I have plenty of backups.

Anyway they are a good all around string for slap and jazz pizz playing. Do a search for info on them and see what you think. I'd let em go for $50 if your interested. That's a little less than half of what a new set would cost.

Kevinlee

5. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Have you checked out rockabillybass.com? Lots of good info for beginning rockabilly players.

6. rudetayJP

rudetayJP

Jun 24, 2004
    Kevinlee, I sent you an email.

Thanks for all the help, the Innovation seems to be the most all around string for what I want to do.

It seems the supernils are lacking in sustain due to the low tension. And, the Spirocores are a bit expensive for right now, I think I'll wait a bit to try strings like that.

I have looked at rockabillybass.com, I just thought I would post here to get an option on an all around string, and not just get told that I should immediately switch to gut. :p

Thanks!

7. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I sent you an email regarding the strings.

Kevinlee