recommend me a synth/keyboard to start with synthbass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dnp41, Aug 21, 2017.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I would like to expand my horizon and check out some keybass/synthbass. I've been really digging the lines on the new Bruno Mars album so I'm looking for something that can cover that sound. I also want to use the keyboard just to learn some more theory and play some simple chords along with songs. Can you recommend me a super cheap option that is stage ready?

2. I don't know how you define super cheap but I have a Novation BassStation II that I've performed with. You can dial in some pretty sweet sounds with it (or purchase ones from people online). I've also performed with the Arturia MiniBrute. I prefer the BassStation for a couple of reasons. 1) you can save the tones you dial in and 2) there's a greater range of actual/useable bass tones. The MiniBrute seems better for leads than bass.

Hope that helps

dnp41 likes this.
  3. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something within the 250-350 euro range so the BassStation would fit that bill.

4. Yep, Bass Station 2 seems to be almost universally considered to be the best bass mono synth you can get for that money. I gassed for one big time a little while back and did tons of research/comparisons etc.

The next best thing would be a moog Sub Phatty but that's jumping up into a higher price bracket.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021