1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me a Wah-Wah pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Perretje, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Perretje

Perretje

Apr 23, 2006
    I don't know anything about pedals and effects.
    What is a reasonable price for a good Wah-Wah (or similar effect) pedal? I've been to several shops and they sell pedals around 190$.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Prices for good FX pedals often seem quite high, though the Big Muff Pi seems to be an exception!

A great wah really depends on if you want a switchless or switched wah. With a switchless you press the pedal forward and it turns on, when you take your foot off the wah, it goes off (usually with some adjustable delay). With a switched wah you turn it on/off by pressing a switch that is underneath the toe part of the pedal, with the toe part of the pedal. Basically, a switchless always starts and ends its action at the heel, and a switched starts and ends at the toe.

A great switched wah is the Dime Crybaby From Hell. I own it and it give you insane controll and multiple routing/signal spiting options. You can controll the heel frequency, the range of the toe from that frequency, and the Q (or strength) of the effect. On most, if not all wahs, there is a volume loss when you turn them on (cus they cut some of the lows), but with this wah you can engage a boost to correct this.

From what I've heard, for a switchless, you can't get much better than a Dunlop 105q. I don't own one, but I've read many a great review, and I'm sure a lot of people here will pipe up and recomend it. The controlls on this thing consist of a volume (same as the boost of the CFH, but always on), and a Q. The off delay is adjusted via an internal trimpot, near the battery.

One that I've tried, but had some trouble with, is the Ibanez Weeping Demon. I've read so many great reviews that I'm sure that I just had bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less. There's actually about 4-5 people on here (that I know of) on here that own them, problem free :D The great part about this wah is that it can go from switched to switchless, and because the switch is off to the side, it is one of the rare switched wahs that can begin/end anywhere in the sweep. It has a volume control for unity gain, two adjustable frequency ranges, a Q control, and most importantly a knob to add bass back in. It also has adjustable delay for the switchless mode.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    $190 for wah pedals? Are you from the U.S. or abroad? That number seems rather high. Most wah pedals I've seen range between $70.00 US and $150.00 US (New), unless you're looking at boutique pedals, used pedals, or pedals that come with rackmount fine-tuning.

I'm a Morley fan, so I thought I'd introduce the other side of the wah coin to you.

I've tried a Dunlop 105q, and I thought it was nice, but not my cup of tea in terms of sound. I found an old Morley Power Wah (PWO) (the chrome ones from the 1970s) and bought it instead.

I'm rather fond of Morleys - they're electro-optical (no pot to wear out, because it uses an LED and light sensor instead). Switchless wahs operate similar to how the Dunlop ones do, and the switch-based ones actually have a standard footswitch on the corner to the right of the heel, as opposed to having it underneath the toe. All Morleys have wider bases than Dunlop wahs, but I'm fond of that. They're built to last as well.

The sweep on the old Morley PWO is amazing (partially due to the broad physical sweep of the pedal, probably the broadest of any wah pedal out there), and it has an extremely wide frequenct range as well - wide enough to favor both bass and guitar. A little adjustment to the photoresistor inside will adjust the sound and range.

Volume does drop in heel position though (the low-frequency region), but the coveted Power Wah Boost (PWB) (a variation of the old one, even rarer) has an adjustment for that volume issue. The other drawbacks are its size (it's big), and that it runs only on an attached AC power cable.

A lot of people look down upon Morley nowadays though, since few of their wah pedals since the late 1980s compare to those old chrome ones they used to make. However, plenty of people like their switchless bass wahs. I'm more comfortable with a switch though.

Personally though, it's a tie between the chrome Morley Power Wahs and their recent redesigned Morley Power Wah (this year's model, with the HQ2 inductor), which I also own.

The new PWO has a built-in boost adjustment dial and an on/off switch. Although its physical sweep isn't as wide, it sounds very very similar to the old chrome PWO. The inductor they designed for the pedal does a great job at replicating the sound. It's actually what I'm using on my pedalboard right now. The fact that it runs on 9V power is a huge plus.

I should point out that adjustments can be made to the PWO via adjusting the LED position and adjusting the inductor. Morley's customer service can provide you with an instruction PDF, or you can just PM me. I was able to improve its similarity to the original that way. A little adjustment to the inductor was enough to change it from guitar-ideal to bass-ideal, while sounding just like my chrome PWO.

The new Morley Power Wah goes for $70.00 US on Musician's Friend. Hard to find offline right now. Musician's Friend tends to have good prices, and they have a 45-day return policy, so if you can't find something do demo at your local shop, try a few out from there.

Other Morley Wahs...mixed reviews from people on TB.

Furthermore, in terms of Morleys, I'd avoid the Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wahs - screechy, trebly, and definitely not for bass guitar, despite the contour adjustment on the Bad Horsie II. I bet someone at TB likes it, but not me...

You can find sound samples for Morley's current catalog at www.morleypedals.com, although most are recorded with guitars.

Don't worry about their listed MSRP for each pedal - you'll usually always find them much cheaper than that.

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'll throw in my view on the Dunlop 105q, then. First off, as DarkHearted mentioned, it's switchless. I've tried playing switched wahs, and never really liked them very much at all--though that's more of a personal preference, you might want to try a few out to see which you like better. Switchless is a lot easier, though.

As for sound, the 105q is pretty good for just about anything. It sounds a *lot* better with some decent distortion, though, which really brings out the wah-ness (though this is probably true for most wahs).

I got mine with a power supply for about $90 US, I don't know exactly what your price range si though. It's pretty well-priced for a wah, though.

-Dash

5. i like the 105Q a lot as well :)

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I had the opportunity to try Morley and Dunlop side by side a few weeks ago. The Dunlop maybe a little brighter and the Morley sounded a bit fatter. Both are easy to use and very robust in build and weight. Neither is better than the other really. The Dunlop takes up less space, but the Morley is harder to miss with your foot.

Try both, pick what sings to you.

I have a Morley.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The US list price for the Dime CFH is: $269.97. US list price for 105q: $203.97. Sure you can probably get them cheeper, but truth is, good effects cost $.
    My CFH = $240 CAD which works out to 211.099 USD (according to XE.com)

My English Muff'n cost me $235 CAD. Hell, my PDDI cost me close to $300.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    All I can say is that I love my PWB.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dark, no one pays list. At least not here in the US. It's like MSRP. Actual street price for a non signature Dunlop or Morley is about $100 here. I think the $190 he was quoted is high too. Unless of course, our friend went to the only music store within 500 sq miles of where he is from. In which case the store can charge whatever they want. Here I suggest online shopping.

10. Perretje

Perretje

Apr 23, 2006
    I'm not sure which one I'll choose. The Dime CFH seems very good! It is quite expensive though.
    The Morley Power Wah seems good aswell.
    Thanks for all the tips :D

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i have both the 105q and the weeping demon by Ibanez. both are great, and sound good for different things!

12. I picked up a Morley cause it was the only one I tested that worked well with bass and guitar. That said, I've recently got a wah mod done to my Pig and it's the nicest wah I've ever played.

13. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    any experiences with Snarling Dogs' wahs?

14. http://www.purevolume.com/willwrightandthetruth

Clip of 105 Q> Boss ODB 3.

I really like my dunlop, there is a huge low mid boost when you switch it on, and its hard to tweak it so it sounds level when you put it on. But apart from that, I've got no complaints.

15. otisroom

otisroom

Jun 22, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Using a Wah Wah can be tricky- better watch my instructional Wah Wah video first.

Enjoy!

16. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I personally like Ibanez Weeping Demon. It's versatile and does a lot of things, but it sounds a little fake at some settings and artificial at times. Dunlop is not as versatile, but I really like the curve I am getting from it AND it has that funky vintage vibe.

2 cents

17. Check out the G Lab Bass Wowee Wah if you get a chance. It sounds really good, I had the chance to play one a couple of days back. Now I really want one :bassist:

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not a wah user, but once had a Morley Power-Wah-Fuzz. Absolutely devastating. The pedal was actually kicked out of the band I was in.

19. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I've tried the Ibanez Weeping Demon, Dunlop 105Q and the Bootsy Wah (forget the exact name). I own the 105Q to give you an idea of which one I personally preferred. It was the funkiest pedal to me in terms of sound esp with the Q control. The weeping demon is not a bad pedal just more rock/metal oriented versus the 105Q is more prog rock/funk to my ears.