Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me an acoustic bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muthagoose, Jan 8, 2005.

1. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm currently looking at buying a nice acoustic bass, but since they don't sell any acoustic basses in my town, I need some recommendations. Since my folks owe me some money, money really isn't that big of a factor, and that's why I'm thinking about buying the Warwick Alien model. Has anybody got any input on the Alien model?

Anyways, recommend me good acoustic basses!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Tacoma makes a good ABG..

[​IMG]

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    If money isn't necessarily a problem I would recommend

1. The Taylor acoustic bass
    2. The Larrivee's acoustic (i have one and it is outstanding)
    3. The Tacoma
    You couldn't go wrong with any of these

4. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I don't know what you are going to use it for but I like my Martin B1. The Tacoma and Taylors are very nice as well.

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I tried lots of different acoustic basses(Martins,Taylors,and several others) and ended-up buying a German-made Stoll 5-string! It is a fantastic bass!

6. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I just went to the Larrivee and Taylor sites and I didn't find any basses???

7. Discontinued.
    There are used items floating around out there.

8. I tried the Taylor a few months ago and it was amzing!!!

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I like the looks of the Carvin acoustic basses, but I've never played one.

10. I don't like ABGs that can't be played acoustically, as a general rule. The Godin and Turners are the exception. But the fun of an ABG is playing on the porch or couch and practicing sets, taking lessons and so forth w/o an amp.

I am going to the beach today. It is a perfect beach day today. I played the Thunder chief last week as the sun set the tiki bar. This is not .paid gig. The guy just lets me sit in. But instead of the Thunderchief I am going to attempt holding it down with the Ashbory today. These give great acoustic, flubby dub sounds. Intonation is tough with new strings and its tiny scale but oh well. It's fretless so I will just have to use "The Force" to play in tune.

Thunderchief is Strong Medicine.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    May the force be with you!

12. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    You're probably looking for something a little higher end than this, but for those looking for a cheap acoustic bass, try the one that Johnson makes. There's a cheapie that sells on eBay for less than $200 that is okay (all laminate), but they also have a model with a solid spruce top that's under three bills and sounds great for the money. I compared it to a Dean, Washburn, and Fender in the store and it beat them all hands down. Unfortunately I can't remember what models the other brands were, but I can tell you the Johnson with the solid top is a nice budget instrument.

13. Molly

Molly

Jan 8, 2005
    Seattle
    I have the Tacoma, and I love it, but I'm sure any of the other mentioned basses are great too.