1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me an all-tube amp, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cale, Sep 4, 2008.

1. cale

cale

Mar 26, 2003
    Hi.

I have a Fender P-Bass.

I have a Nemesis 4x10 4-ohm cabinet rated at 450W.

I like an all-tube sound but have never owned an all-tube amp.

What would be a good match for this cabinet? I found an SVT-Classic for a good price, but would 300W of tube be overkill?

I would like a bright, warm, distorted sound. I play with my fingers, and some strumming. I play math-rock/post-rock. Bands whose sound I wouldn't mind emulating are bands like Don Caballero, Maserati, Mercury Program, et al.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    300 Watts is a great place to be for a tube amp. And likely all you would ever need. If the SVT-CL is a good price, gobble it up and never look back. I guess I should ask how much is it and let the BassTalk Magisterium rule on it however. :)

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    im just amazed at the term "math rock" :rollno:

4. cale

cale

Mar 26, 2003
    I know it is an awful term.

I also found a 100W Ampeg V4B on craigslist. Vintage, but he says he's just had it "extensively overhauled, recapped and re-tubed" and it looks in good condition. $750.

Maybe a better match for my 4x10. I'm afraid the SVT might need to be too loud to get the bit of distortion I'm after? But thanks for the recommendation, scottgun. I'm leaning that way.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    300 watts of tube power is a lot, and if you're going for natural tube distortion, I'd say the V4B is a much better choice. Got an svt-100 myself, which is similar, and it sounds great! Welcome to the world of tubes!

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Don't know whether that's a good price for the v4b or not. How mush is the SVT?

I don't use distortion, so I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that you overload the gain, rather than the master volume which is perfectly safe to do. Trying to get distortion with the master volume would indeed be a recipe for disaster.

7. I have a V4BH, and while it's not vintage, the thing is loud. 100 watts is plenty for a most situations, especially if you want grind and overdrive.

8. I hear the Fender Bassman 300 is good, but most of all I would recommend you try out some heads for yourself.

9. cale

cale

Mar 26, 2003
    The SVT is $1300 new "b-stock". Full warranty, but I guess is either previously owned or refurbished. Factory tested and re-sealed, though.

10. Used SVT-CL's go for $900-1100

The V4B's usually from $500-650

Based on what I have seen on TB and eBay

11. cale

cale

Mar 26, 2003
    I can't seem to find any new all-tube amps under 300W. The V4BH is discontinued. Do any companies make something with a more reasonable wattage for my cabinet?

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

Pignose B-100V

Don't know a thang about it however. For some reason I thought there was a head only version too.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Peavey VB-2. 220 watts, and there's a new thread close by all about it. Also, made in USA. A good "mid-powered" tube amp.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    $750 is certainly on the high side, but if it's had as much work done as he says, it could be worth it. I'd insist on getting a copy of the receipt for the work, though.

Peavey VB-2, 225 watts (comes with an overdrive channel that gets pretty dirty, from what I've heard). $900 new, I think.
    Traynor YBA-200, 200 watts. $700 new?
    Orange ADB-200, 200 watts. Ouch--over $2k new.

15. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    they have a pignose at a music store i visit frequently. i love it, sounds amazing. its clean but has a mean low end. i bet if i cranked it through some big speakers i could get a mean overdrive.

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    You might be interested in a Traynor YBA200-2. Probably one of the cheapest all tube heads available (probably around $700 or $800 new), and they're generally well liked. I've been interested in one for awhile. There are detractors however, so you'd probably do best to try before you buy.

http://traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=5&cat=40&id=399

17. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    How loud does the Traynor get? Not to hijack this thread, so don't let me, but I'm thinking about one and I play with two 100 watt halfstacks and a LOUD drummer. My band likes me loud, so will it be a good fit, or will I be turned up to 10 the entire time? I mean if I just need to hold off and get a 300 watt tube head I will, I just never have asked and I wanna know.

18. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    I'd say go for a Mesa Bass 400+. My personal favorite.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, hold out for the 300 watts. Headroom is your freind.

20. No one going to warn him that the SVT only runs at 4- or 2-ohms, when his Nemesis Cab is 8-ohm?