Recommend me an amp please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ragecody, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    Hey everybody!
    I'm looking to buy my first "real" amp and head unit for under $1000. I really know nothing about these so I'm looking for some advice. I am currently using a 100w fender rumble combo amp and it just doesn't give me the volume, (more importantly tone) that I need. The basses I use are a Fender modern player V and an Ibanez SR755.
    Here are 2 examples of the tone I'm looking match as close as possible.

I don't play with a whole lot of deep low end and I use a lot of chording and tapping. I would also appreciate any other advice you may have in regards as to what to look for in an amp/head.
    Thank you!

2. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    TheRealKong and Ragecody like this.
  3. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    Thank you! I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but I'm referring to an amp (speaker) and head unit (the thing on top lol)for under $1000 together.

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The part on top is the amp head. The part on the bottom that the sound comes out of, is the speaker cab.

Where are you located, it makes a difference as to what may be available to you.

5. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    The head unit is an amplifier and the speaker is a cabinet. When they're paired together in one cabinet they're referred to as a combo amp often shortened to just amp which leads to confusion.

Ragecody likes this.
  6. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    I live near Chicago.

7. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Yango likes this.
  8. B-string

[​IMG]

You could get it from less expensive rigs than the Ampeg, a lot of that tone sounds like the bassist and the bass.

9. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    What exactly do you mean? Just technique?

10. B-string

Interesting, here she looks to be using an older G-K RB combo. 700RB II or 400RB IV 210 combo.

[​IMG]

Also saw a Hartke amp sitting on a Marshall cab in another pic.

11. B-string

Not just, also the bass, strings, pickups.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Lots of clarity is Carvin's signature. I would look at the BX700/BRX10.2 system or B1000/BRX10.2 system. Since the heads run at 2 ohms, you can always add another cab but since your tone isn't bottom heavy, you'll get tons of volume with a single cab.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/prostacks.php

Ragecody likes this.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Listening to your samples, I would probably opt for one of the heads with a semi-parametic EQ + graphic EQ. The B1000 + B2000 sound great and are easier to dial in, but the ability to fine-tune the mid-range frequencies (with the semi-parametic EQ) might be the difference between sounding good or sounding great.
    The BX1600 is basically like having two BX700's in one head. Options are limitless, compared to most heads, with tons of power.

Ragecody likes this.
  14. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Yeah that's why I suggested the walkabout. The para eq has huge possibilities.

15. I dont hear a lot of "amp color" in the bass tone of those clips. Sounds more like "pBass" to me than any signature amp tone. I suggest you hold on to your cash, go out try everything, maybe buy something used to get you through. Something will speak to you and get your tone closer to what you want to hear.

Ragecody likes this.
  16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Buy used gear in excellent shape (or better). Biggest bang for the buck. If you have to choose, sink a greater portion of your budget in a speaker cabinet(s) than the amp. Pick up a separate amp & cabinet(s) rather than a combo amp/cabinet.

You say you're not loud enough. More speakers is much more important for volume than the amp (provided the amp puts out ~250 watts RMS at 4-Ohms, or more). Most recent model amps do, so it isn't an overly big concern. The minimum you want in a speaker cabinet is probably two 12" speakers (a "212" cab or two "112" cabs). Four 10" speakers would be louder. A "410" cab or two "210" cabs stacked on end (tall-ways), "vertically." A cab with two 15" speakers, a "215" cab produces the same volume as a "410" or two "210"s. This speaker cabinet info is in a general sense. There are better-grade cabinets using better & more efficient speakers. Still, for $1000, you can pick up some quality items. The classified section here on TB is an excellent place to check. Your local Craigslist, too, although you need to be more wary on it.

Here's a possibility for cabinets in your backyard ...
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/now-shipping-2-vgc-gk-neo-112-ii-cabs-280-00ea.1099141/
    And an amp possibility (although amp pickings to make a $1000 or under rig are on the slim side right now it seems) ...
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fs-ft-swr-350-300-shipped.1066608/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Ragecody likes this.
  17. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys! Is there anything you'd suggest specifically looking at when buying used? I'm certainly not opposed to it. People keep recommending SVTs as well. Thoughts?

18. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The bassist in elephant gym seems to use various combos, Ampeg and GK, and an SVT in one clip I think. SVTs are wonderful, but you'd be lucky to get the head (no speaker cab) for under $1000. Plus, 80 pounds...

I've recently become a fan of the Bag End S15 speakers. They are very efficient, so you don't need too much power to get very loud. Also they have a fat sound but not much real deep bass, a great sound. If you hunt you can find these used for under $300. A pair of these and any decent class D micro (GK MB500, Kustom KXB500, Carvin BX500) will get you a good loud sound at a good price. The Carvin is going for $319 brand new! http://www.talkbass.com/threads/nad-carvin-bx500.1117819/

19. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, the Ampeg is great, but with shipping it would be in the $1000 ballpark. No bucks left over for speakers. Now if you want to up your budget, that's a different matter entirely :D.

Other fine all-valve (all-tube) heads, too, like the Mesa 400+, among others. Here's one in Chicago ... http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4831883787.html

20. Ragecody

Ragecody

May 31, 2010
    Man, I thought I replied Friday! $1000 is my max really. I have a wedding to pay for haha. Opinions on GK heads? I've seen some of the back line series near me for around $500, but heard mixed thkngs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021