1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by v1paul, Sep 27, 2009.

1. v1paul

v1paul

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm looking for a good combo for practising and maybe some small gigs. I play alot of funk and slap and I've just bought a status kingbass. Really I'm looking for quality more than anything. I haven't decided on a budget yet but I probably don't want to pay silly money for one. Any good suggestions maybe a 12 or 15 inch speaker?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Walkabout Scout. Pure qualiity, and great tone. Also, capable of driving larger speaker cabs, which you'll want if you play in a loud rock band.

3. Look into the Carvin bass amp combo's, affordable with lots of bells and whistles, plus can run other larger cabs. Go to their website Carvin.com, maybe that'll help you out.

4. Carvin, Ampeg, Acoustic, based on what you asked for.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Since you're a slapper, I'd recommend something clean. The Markbass stuff should be right up your alley. Sounds killer and doesn't weigh much.

6. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Instead of recommending a specific amp( this subject is highly subjective), I would recommend certain spec's that you should consider.
    First is wattage. Even for small gigs, I believe you need at least 200 watts minimum to be heard effectively.
    Second, choose a combo amp that has an extension speaker output in case you would like to add another cabinet later for more volume and sound dispersement.
    As for speaker size, I would try both smaller (10's) and larger (15's) to see what you like best. I have always used larger speakers over the years but I have changed to smaller ones. Large speakers will give you a deeper bass response, but smaller speakers give a quicker response time and seem louder and your sound seems to be more consistent anywhere you stand where as the larger speaker seems to have a narrower sweet spot.
    You may want to try these newer combo amps that have built in effects like a compressor. Being you are a slapper, a compressor will even out your sound and save your amp/speakers from clipping. Some amps have built in limiters which protects your amp from clipping also, but these aren't as flexible, but you should use an amp with one or the other especially since your a slapper.

Amps to try out if possible:
    Ampeg BA 300 either in the 2-10 or 1-15 versions. these are 300 watts with tube preamps and built-in compressors, direct outs (D.I.) and effects loop, but no extension speaker output.

SWR Working Pro 2X10C. this amp is 260 watts into 2-10's with a horn tweeter and has extension speaker out which will boost your watts to 400 with another cabinet. SWR amps have built in limiters and aural enhancement for a smooth sound.

There are may other fine amps out there too. Be sure to try them and use your ears on what you like and what you need! Good luck!

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're looking for a bass combo amp suitable for small gigs, I would recommend the hartke a100. this amp got some impressive features such as a 7 band graphic-eq, a built in limiter, an effects loop, an xlr output, and an aux input. it's has a 15-inch speaker and it handles low b strings if you own a 5-string bass.

8. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Markbass or Ashdown. I'm also a slapper and find these to be great. Markbass is higher end but you'll love the sound. light as a feather and really loud, esp the 2x10.

same for the ashdown; the MAG series are really inexpensive and have a lot of juice for the money. they sound good, have a good eq section, and have nothing fancy like neodymium to inflate the price.

9. Can you please define what you mean by "small gigs"? 200 watts is not needed for a small gig by any means.....

10. Anything GK!!!

11. + 1.

12. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    small gigs? a backyard party playing on the porch? living room, small club/bar for about 30 people or less?

my first amp was an 100 watt acoustic combo with a 15.
    In a garage rock band setting it was barely adequate, in fact with two guitars playing thru 100 watt 2-12 combo amps, i even stopped playing once and it took a minute before anyone noticed.
    So I said what I said based off my experiences with small amps because that's all I could afford back then. In a loud rock band setting, Yes, 200 watts should be considered a minimum.
    Anyway, what's wrong with having more power than you might think you need? you can always turn down( yeah, right) plus one should consider the future. what will your amp needs be then?

13. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    In a nutshell...It's better to have too much power than not enough!

14. alanp36

alanp36

Sep 29, 2009
    I agree with fourstringburn, minimum 200 Watts. I too have had the experience of being drowned out by the drummer and guitarist using a small combo amp. It's not much fun.

Don't forget, bass frequencies need more power to get to the same apparent volume compared to guitar.