Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend me an ampeg cabinet and head for $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Sep 2, 2003.

1. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I would like to upgrade and get an ampeg 4x10 cabinet. New or used doesn't matter but I need some models to look out for when im shopping. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $500 on the cab and then $500 on an amp. I have no preferences on the amp. I have heard the sound through several ampeg cabinets at many different bars (most of the bassists were not using any effects as well) and its a sound I like. I will demo some of the units myself at local music stores but I would like your recommendation and experiences with the ampeg cabs and any caveats(sp) for buying used cabs.
    Thanks

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You are going to have a hard time buying a new Ampeg cab and head for a grand. The Ampeg classsic series 410 is $579 at MF and a B2r head is $549. So if you can scrape up a little extra cash I would recommed starting there and saving for a classic series 15 cab later. I would avoid the b series cabs altogether but some folks like them. I'm not a real fan of buying amps used unless you really know and trust the person you are dealing with IMO. If I were in your position,and had to stick with 1 grand or less, I would get a new Ampeg B2r and a used Ampeg cab OR check out a new Avatar cab. I haven't played through an Avatar but lots of folks here seem to like them.