recommend me an ampeg cabinet and head for $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Sep 2, 2003.

1. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I would like to upgrade and get an ampeg 4x10 cabinet. New or used doesn't matter but I need some models to look out for when im shopping. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $500 on the cab and then $500 on an amp. I have no preferences on the amp. I have heard the sound through several ampeg cabinets at many different bars (most of the bassists were not using any effects as well) and its a sound I like. I will demo some of the units myself at local music stores but I would like your recommendation and experiences with the ampeg cabs and any caveats(sp) for buying used cabs.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You are going to have a hard time buying a new Ampeg cab and head for a grand. The Ampeg classsic series 410 is $579 at MF and a B2r head is $549. So if you can scrape up a little extra cash I would recommed starting there and saving for a classic series 15 cab later. I would avoid the b series cabs altogether but some folks like them. I'm not a real fan of buying amps used unless you really know and trust the person you are dealing with IMO. If I were in your position,and had to stick with 1 grand or less, I would get a new Ampeg B2r and a used Ampeg cab OR check out a new Avatar cab. I haven't played through an Avatar but lots of folks here seem to like them.