Recommend me an online course

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by eekamike, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hey all, looking to get some input on my specific situation for an online course.
    I'm technically proficient, but my groove is a little lacking. I've got the basics of soloing down, but would really like to expand with playing chords and melody. Basically I'm an intermediate all around, trying to make the jump from playing covers and simple melodies to really grooving and soloing (and playing chords). A jazz focus would be a plus.

Has anybody tried Janek Gwizdala's subscription course? I love his work and his teaching style, but I bought one of his courses to try it out and I'm a bit worried it might be too advanced for me at this point.

2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
  3. Thanks for the suggestion! But I'm looking for something that's more of a pre-recorded lesson type course, as the main reason I'm not taking in-person lessons is because my schedule is super hectic for the next 6 months with job hunting and wedding planning. I need something I can turn on randomly and learn from. I guess I shoulda put that in the original post.

edit: just saw he also has video lessons. Have you tried these?

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    LarryBama likes this.
  5. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I like Talking Bass too. Check out some of the free lessons and if you like his style as a teacher you can look into a paid course to hit what you are after. Not sure if you have to sign up with your email to see the lesson map but if you do no big deal. Enter your email and you can see the rather large list of free lessons. Same thing for Scott's bass lessons. Give them your email and you can see a large volume of free lessons and get a feel for if you want to throw down money for an in depth course. Both have video lessons and many have a pdf attachment and play along track you download for the lesson.

Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net - Lesson Map

6. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have 3 of Janek's books which also have DVD downloads that accompany them. I love his stuff and use it frequently. I also have several books from Joe Hubbard and was enrolled in his two year program for a bit. Both are excellent bass educators, In my opinion Joes stuff is more clearly defined.......ex....Triads first inversion...........Janek on the other hand has exercises that address things like triads but he cleverly weaves them into melodic ideas that don't feel like just a rigid exercise. I can say personally that I have more enjoyment working through the exercises in Janeks books more......I hope this helps and sorry for the long winded response.

7. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I have and they are great. In fact, may be exactly what you need, judging by your intro. Another awesome avenue is Tony Grey's bass academy.

8. No, this is perfect, thanks. Maybe Janek's course that I bought was too far into his course chronologically. Maybe I'll just try his subscription for a month and take his basics course first.

There really isn't enough community info on Janek's courses out there, so any info you can give will help!

9. I'll take a look into it then. I did try Tony Grey's site for a while and I definitely learned a lot of scales and their uses, I credit that course with making me technically proficient, but I feel like I didn't learn enough application and groove. Maybe I didn't give it enough time and just didn't get far enough into his course?

10. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I tried Tony's site too. He's a great teacher and player, but I just prefer Janek's material. I would really recommend his books "all the good stuff" "all the better stuff" and "chordal harmony". Sometimes you can get all 3 in a package deal and they are super reasonable price wise.

11. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    As a matter of fact, you can get three of his books for $75 on his site now. I paid $40 a piece and still think they are a great deal at that price.

12. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well, he does have entire chapters devoted to the bass line and groove aspect.

13. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Adam Nitti is currently having a flash sale on the membership in his adamnittimusiceducation.com courses. It is excellent content, and with 50% off, it is an opportunity not to be passed.

14. Cliff Engel. Will tailor the study to your level of need and where you'd like to go, gives you more material every week than you can possibly get through, and is solid as a rock!

Plus, inexpensive. Check it out: Cliff Engel's Institute Of Bass

GastonD likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022