1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend me bass picks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Hey guys, I don't know anything about bass picks (only guitar picks).

What do you guys use? What would you recommend me? I play some metal and prog rock (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Tool).

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I use guitar picks, fairly thin ones too. In my experience the strings feel more responsive that way.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Fender heavy or medium, though I only use picks for times I need that tone.

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    My personal favourites;

Jim Dunlop USA NYLON .60mm
    Jim Dunlop USA NYLON .88mm
    Jim Dunlop USA -M- Purple See-thru

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I get the best/tightest/consistent sound and feel using something very heavy and stiff. My current faves are Dunlop 1.14, the ones with the little rhino on 'em.

6. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear index brand picks are good. Middle has some OK ones.

:ninja:

7. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    I also don't use picks very often but when I do I use Snarling Dog Brain Picks at 1.14mm

8. Clayman

Clayman

Nov 26, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I can use about anything in a pinch but I prefer use 73mm Dunlop Tortex (the yellow ones). I have a couple of bags of them and as I grind them up I toss them and grab another.

I've found he Tortex ones have everything in the right balance for me. Grip, shape and thickness. I don't get the feedback or speed I want from heavier picks and lighter ones get too floppy. It's real subjective though. Good thing is picks are cheap. Buy a bunch, try them all and see which one works best for you. You can even buy Dunlop packs that have 5 or 6 different ones.

9. Dunne

Dunne

Sep 3, 2006
    Illinois, USA
    +1, although I use .60 Tortex (orange ones) right now.

10. EarlSandwich

EarlSandwich

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm a fan of middle, myself. They've had some bad PR, but I think they're stronger.

In all seriousness, however, when it comes to plectrum choice, I'm not too picky. I am a fan of the stiffer picks though.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm a fingerstyle player, but a couple years ago I started using picks on certain rock songs such as Slither by Velvet Revolver. I'm still torn between medium-heavy, heavy, and extra-heavy picks. The flexible ones seem to have a little more 'snap' to them, which is kinda what I'm looking for from my pick tone, but I can dig in more with the heavier ones.

The bottom line is to go with whatever works best for you.

12. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Tortex 1mm, the blue ones.

Tortex lasts much longer than regular plastic.

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
  14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I use Wedgie 0.73's when I pick, the glassy ones.
    I love 'em but with hard playing I eventually snap 'em in half.

15. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I don't use a pick much, but when I do I use the same ones I use for guitar. The Jim Dunlop Jazz III. They are small with a real point to them.

16. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    When I use picks, which at the moment is often with the bands I'm playing with, I use these ones:
    [​IMG]

They're quite heavy, but I like to dig in!

17. I buy the branded picks my local store sells (usually, although I've picked up a ton of picks for free over the years just by finding them places). I used to play medium, but I've shattered a couple of those, so now I play heavy or extra heavy for bass and leave the mediums and thin-mediums for guitar.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I pretty much use whatever I pick up, though I prefer medium or thin. I lose my picks (and find new ones) so often that I just don't really care what brand they are.

19. Grow you fingernails (especially your index finger) and put nail hardener on them. Then use your finger nail, but clasp your thumb and index finger together like you're using a pick -

Then you can switch back and forth between "pick," fingerstyle, slap, whatever, without dropping anything or sticking something in your mouth if you need to transition during a song.

Get some gelatin and mix it in your morning OJ to keep your nails strong.

You think I'm kidding, I'll bet....

Nope....

Z

20. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I like Dunlop Ultex because they don't snap or crack apart. They wear down.

For gauge - medium to thin. Too much extra scratching sound with heavy gauge.