1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me some Albums/Bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Aug 25, 2007.

1. I like music, and I try to listen to all kinds of music. Three or four years ago, I could "accept" all types of music, but now I can't. Based on what types of music and what bands I like, can you recommend me some albums?

I like...

Primus.
    This is on the top, the band is not too heavy, nor is it too light. The bass is definitely a main factor, also the weird funk.

Bob Marley.
    I like this guy because I can listen to one of his songs and fall asleep; and when I wake up, I feel that I didn't miss much. Also, it's also because his music very relaxing.

Buckethead.
    I don't like Buckethead's heavy stuff. I like the mellow stuff he plays. I could listen to COLMA all day.

Stevie Wonder.
    This man puts a lot of soul into his music, and I can just listen to him sing one note for hours.

Flecktones.
    My feelings towards this band is similar to my feeling towards Bob Marley. It's very relaxing. Sometimes it plays "nothing" but at times, the groove, the tension, and the intensity builds up, which is what makes the band unique.

Christina Aguilera.
    I like her mellow stuff, nothing Pop-ish. Same goes for the mellow stuff by almost every other R&B singers.

Colonel Claypool's Frog Brigade.
    I like the funkiness of this band, especially the funk in the bass and sax. I also love how some of the songs sound quite weird, but that's what makes this band very enjoyable.

Eminem.
    In my mind, he's the best rapper. Most of his songs are very "powerful." Because he raps about his unhappy childhood and past, and also because he put so much strength into every word.

Kenny G.
    He plays some cheezy and beautiful stuff. I wouldn't mind listening him hold an E while background makes some chord variations.

Yo-Yo Ma & Bobby McFerrin.
    I only have one album - Hush. It's my favorite. Everything's very relaxing, but the technique both man has makes the album breathtaking.

Victor Wooten.
    I'm a bass player, how can I not listen to him?

So, what bands and albums would you recommend?

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    If you like the reggae and the funky stuff check out bands like 311 and sublime. 311 has a sick bass player.

3. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    newer stuff:

Garaj Mahal
    Umphries McGee
    RAQ

not so old stuff:

Fishbone
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones

old stuff:

James Brown
    The Temptations
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Parliament/Funkadelic

4. I like 311 too, but for some reason I HATE Sublime...

5. If you like Primus, you'll probably like King Crimson (their 80s lineup in particular). Start with the Discipline album.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you like Eminem, check out the track "**** on you" by D12, legendary stuff.

7. What on you? What's the first letter? I'm not trying to be funny.

8. +1

Check out the FISH!

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    S**t, for the purposes of this thread.

10. Infectious Grooves

Chroma Key

Nikka Costa!

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Sig material. That's just too funny.

12. Dixie Dregs
    Dave Weckl Band
    Dave Matthews Band
    Alan Holdsworth
    Chick Corea
    Norm Stockton
    Planet X

There's so much out there, I'd probably be better off starting another thread. That's just stuff off the top of my head.

13. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL

Aug 25, 2007
    If you like weird funk, check out Red Hot Chili Pepper's album Mothers Milk, it was one of their less popular albums, however it was their first true breakthrough. But bewarned, it doesn't have a very mainstream friendly sound to it, but after a listen or two you start to like it alot. And, you might want to even look further back in their history, such as Freaky Styley (George Clinton produced it) or the such. One Hot Minute is also a really good album by them, but it's also alot heavier then any of their other stuff.

I would tell you to check out some Nu Metal bands because the bassist is one of the driving forces in them usually (Good examples being Mudvayne, Some Incubus albums suchas Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E.), but Nu Metal tends to lean towards the heavier or darker sides usually.

Speaking of incubus, I'd also check out their EP Enjoy Incubus, the song 'Azwethinkweiz' on it, is really nice, however the rest of the stuff besides Hilikus on that EP is pretty heavy.

So, my suggestions would be..
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mothers Milk (It's not very mainstream, and some of the vocals sound awkward, but it adds to the weird sound :p)

Incubus - Morning View (and if you have iTunes or something, you can download 'Azwethinkweiz", but I think iTunes messed up the Enjoy Incubus album and mixed tracks, so beware)

EDIT: Well, if you think about it, Incubus' album Fungus Amongus is also one I might suggest if you like Primus. But, this album tends to have a little more intense playing and vocals then any of their other stuff.

14. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    this thread is like a joke right...sort of like a troll..but now hes out there and starting threads.

15. I'll check out the bands you guys mentioned about. What type of band is Incubus? I think I might have listened to one or two of their songs, but don't quite remember.

16. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL

Aug 25, 2007
    originally, they were a mix of hard rock and funk, and eventually evolved into a soft rock genre. :p

17. Well, if you're a Victor fan I'm sure you have at least checked out Marcus Miller. If you're not into his solo albums you owe it to yourself to check out some of his work with David Sanborn. Still some great flashy bass work with some solos, but of course David takes the melodies. I recommend either Upfront or Straight to the Heart.

On the Rock side.
    Fishbone is a great example and so is Living Colour. Fishbone is Ska/Reggae meets funky Metal. Living Colour is punk/funk meets metal. Either way both bands are pretty intense.

Steely Dan. No mater which album there is always an awesome rhythm section. Aja and Katy Lied are classics.

Toto - Great band to listen to. A little on the light side, but with some great grooves. They simply wrote some great tunes. Try out Toto IV

On the Funky/R&B side. (old school)
    Tower of Power
    Maceo Parker

Jazzy fusion
    John Scofield
    Michael Brecker
    Yellowjackets
    Spyro Gyra

Oh yeah,....John Patitucci. :bassist:
    Anyone with that features his six string playing.

If you like DB players Check out Christian McBride, "Gettin to It"
    It's good mix of straight ahead jazz and modern DB playing. (lack of a better term)

18. Are there any new-school funk other than RHCP?

19. I guess Faith No More could fall into that category.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Definitely check out Adventures in Radioland by John Mclaughlin and Mahavishnu. So good, everyone should own it!