Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some bagpipe music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've had a long standing interest in bagpipes, but no real starting point for recordings, artists and albums. Traditional, modern, whatever, but I'd like to know if any of you can recommend some songs/band/albums that are bagpipe centric.

I especially like the bass/snare/bagpipe trio type thing, but anything'll do.

Any recommendations?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I looked through allmusic.com and it came up with a bunch of celtic groups. Of the ones it listed, I have heard:

-The Boys of the Lough
    -Davy Spillane

Both of which I liked, but I'm not a celtic music fan. Also, apparently Davy Spillane was part of a group, Moving Hearts which had a big effect on the celtic music scene.

I think Shane McGowan's new band, the Popes have/use a piper occasionally.

They're used for other kinds of music, though its become most identified with Irish and Scottish music; I know variations of it are used in a couple of Eastern European folk groups, Albanian, Hungarian, as well, though not to much extent.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, get stoned & forget you ever asked this question...

4. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    Being a bass player and a bagpiper I would recommend anything by Robert Mathieson, Simon Fraser University Pipe Band, Field Marshall Montgomery Pipe Band and if you like rock bands with bagpipes try Seven Nations, Bad Haggis, or Neil Anderson.

Try this link for all your bagpipe related needs.

http://www.bobdunsire.com/bagpipeweb/

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Bob and victo.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you can find any of his stuff, check out Rufus Harley - as far as I know, he's the only bagpipe player in jazz.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The Chieftains. Paddy Maloney is a master of the Uileann pipes.

Try their older recordings (not the newer stuff crammed with guest stars). Chieftains 9: Boil the Breakfast Early is a good starting point.

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'd also recommend Bad Haggis; sort of fusion-y with excellent pipes and good bass-playing.

My favorite recording with bagpipes is a Scottish band called Macumba. They are unbelievable! It is a combination of pipes and Brazilian percussion. I never knew that pipes could groove so well in the right context.

I have a practice set of pipes that I like to play now and then, but don't tell anyone.....

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rufus Harley...this guy played JAZZ on bagpipes!!!

11. Dropkick Murphys have a bagpiper (bagpipist?) in alot of their songs, if you're not familiar with them.

12. Oh man...I heard some celtic prog rock band with a bagpipe player in it. I forgot the name of the band though.

But anyways, it like Rush, but with bag pipes, and no vocals on the song I heard.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, they sucked?