1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me some Computer/Desktop speakers, guys.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    But, I do have one major thing I'm against. I don't want a subwoofer. Unless it's small. I'm not a fan of the big box under my desk, and sometimes it can bother the neighbors.

For the past 6 months or so I've been using the Bose Companion 2 speakers, and they're not bad. But I get the feeling that I want Studio Monitors now. I want good speakers that will give me clear highs and mids, and nice lows without having a subwoofer. I don't need the lows to shake the house, I just want to be able to hear basslines clearly.

So I figured that if I'm going to get a 2 speaker set, I might look into stuido monitors. Right now I'm leaning towards M-Audio. I've heard good things, and the small desktop ones range from 130 to 200 or so dollars. I'd pay more, but I want it to be within my guidelines. 2 speakers only that are able to sufficiently present me with clear audio, and I'd like them to be as small as possible.

So, anyone here used the M-Audio stuff? Should I jump on it, or look elsewhere?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    For actual small computer speakers with no sub woofer, the Bose set I have are pretty good. I don't know if I'd use them for mixing, but they are great for listening while on the computer and were $99 if I remember correctly.

3. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    That's what I'm using now. I'm just wondering if studio monitors, like those M-Audio joints will give me a better sound. So I'm hoping someone can chime in on that front.

4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I use the Logitech X-230. It has a subwoofer, but it's relatively small.

5. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks, but the sub box is too big. I know I'm not gonna find one that's my ideal size (like a Cafe Walter size box would be heroic, but probably impossible), so I'm gonna stick with trying to get monitors.

I'm still hoping someone will chime in on M-Audio eventually.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Buy a secondhand integrated amp and some real speakers (also secondhand). There's a bajillion out there and they'll undoubtely sound better than any 'computer' speaker in a dinky plastic box with a massively overrated amp inside. Maybe a small HT design if you need them to be shielded.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    P1010038.

The KRKs are nice. I have the Rokit 8's ($500.00/ pair). They are powered studio monitors that have 140 Watt amps in each speaker unit. They sell smaller units that might do as well. I use them for playing bass and guitar through my computer (using Line6 Gearbox). I also use them when playing computer games or listening to CDs. Definitely do not need a subwoofer with these.

8. Beat me to it.

I was going to say KRK too, i've got these, the only reason i wish i had a mac is so they would match!

[​IMG]
    KRK RP6 SE

There is a KRK sub, but, i dont need it :)

9. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Sweet, I'll check those KRK's out. Can I ask, do I need anything else to use them? I just want to plug them right into my soundcard or PC. I don't want to have to get some sort of preamp or whatever. I have no more room on my desk.

10. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    You could plug Edirol MA7A's from your comp's speaker out using the adapter provided with them. And they have an harmonic enhancer so you hear the bass but the neighbors won't.

And they're like 120$ for a very nice sound. Check them out.

11. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Wow, those look super interesting. I might grab those. Can you tell me how the bass is? I don't necessarily care if it thumps a ton, I just want to hear basslines clearly, that's all.

12. While i use them with my firepod interface now, i used to use them just straight from the soundcard.

What you will need is a cable that goes from stereo 1/8th (soundcard) to two RCA, 1/4 TRS or XLR (KRKs).

Each speaker also needs its own plug socket, so you'll need at least two spare power sockets near the pc or an extension cable.

13. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    The enhancer is actually pretty enthusiastic, and you might need to turn the bass a little down to get a true flat response. I find it is a very clear sounding set of monitors, especially for their size. Basslines are super easy to hear, BTW.

14. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
  15. Klipsch Promedia 2.1. The sub is relatively small, and they sound absolutely killer for 'puter speakers!

[​IMG]

16. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Well, it looks like it's between the KRK's and the Edirols. But honestly the Edirol's are more appealing due to the small size, relative ease of use, and price. Well, I assume the relative ease of use. I'm hoping I can just plug them into my soundcard. One jack for all is even better.

17. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Yup. There's an 1/8 to RCA adapter supplied with them.

18. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Hurray!

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Now that I've used them, I'll never go less than a pair of near-field reference monitors. The monitors I use for recording, I once hooked up to my computer.

I am now spoiled, and only want the BEST.

20. Added benifit is you know the sounds of your speakers, even better for mixing!