Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some good cold medicine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Typical bad cold here - I'm on Alive Cold & Sinus today and it is NOT working. I don't need a night time med - I have no trouble sleeping even with the cold, I need a GOOD daytime cold med that works. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day - I'll be up super early to work a very long day and I have GOT to feel better than this. Help?

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I always pound the Dayquil myself.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If I HAVE to get to work or some other business, and I have a cold, I find that a combination of the following works:

Tylenol Cold and Sinus
    A cup of Echinacea tea

YMMV, but it works for me.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If your sinuses are congested, I suggest going to GNC and picking up a bottle of Sinus Clear (from Ridge Crest, I believe). You're supposed to take it three times a day, but I only needed one a day after the first day. That stuff works wonders. If you've got a sore throat along with it, just take it with regular aspirin.

Edit: I picked up the Sinus clear as a last ditch move before going to the doctor. Nothing else worked, not DayQuil, Contac, etc did anything for my cold a couple of months ago.
    You also get 30 caps in a bottle for about $10. You get about 10 caps for $8 or so for the top of the line OTC cold medicine.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Might not cure it, but at least you won't care.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Chew on some ginger.

Or shred, make into a tea with lemon. <O:p</O:p

It may be psychosomatic, but it works for me. I hate how cold medicines make me feel.<O:p</O:p

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    BUCKLEY'S!

Any Canadian should agree with this!

10. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    A joint & southern comfort with cherry coke/no ice. No, honestly Theraflu works wonders. Man I'm fighting the ganja crave right now really bad guys, hope I make it, hope I make it. It's so hard on rainy days when no one's home.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hot and sour soup. Over-the-counter cold remedies don't really work (except to drain your wallet!), but spicy food does wonders.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ding. Drink til you forget you're sick.

13. Shove a straw up your nose and hook it up to a vaccum cleaner.

It may suck your face inside out, but you wont have that annoying drippy nose any more!!

Rock on
    Eric

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That only works for a few hours and the onslaught of the hangover you feel afterwards is DEFINITELY not worth it.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Theraflu has worked well for me as well although I can barely stomach the stuff. Once I get it down I'm good to go.

brad cook

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

At 2:00 AM to kick off a 15 hr work day? I don't think so. :rollno:
    Dayquil or Theraflu seem like better alternatives... Maybe I'm just a wimp.
    :bag:

17. I reccomend lots of nutmeg for all of you.

No that's bad advice.

Anything that claims to do what you want will probably work. Get the cheep kind.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I'm on something that claims to do what I want it to (Alive Cold & Sinus) and it isn't working worth a darn. I have just finished off a box of Kleenex and will be on my second box today by the time I'm done with this post. I'm satrting to look like Rudolf the Red Nosed Bass Player here...

19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Let's think about this here, guys. ... What Would Balki Do?

[​IMG]

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ginger does amazing things. Use it with lemon, it is your friend. Over the counter drugs work too, but natural remedies are the way to go. Keep your vitamin C intake up while you are ill too. Drink lots of water.

-Mike