1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me some good country

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I've always liked to listen to country, but never actively sought it out. Anyway, I got an iTunes gift card from my brother and thought I'd get some country to play along to. I really don't want any of that pop rubbish and none of the overly trucker stuff, which is just as cheesy as the pop country in my opinion. I'm really into Johnny Cash, I mean, who isn't? Hank Williams is another I greatly respect. Just looking for some good old time country picking. Any recommendations? :)

2. skruch

skruch

Jul 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Anything by Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Emmylou Harris and for a treat, Poco.

3. waylon jennings, Jamey Johnson, I really like Jason Aldean and his bassist Tully Kennedy is among my fav current bassist.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Don Williams, Emmylou, Chet Atkins.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
  6. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    who are some of the best country bass players? i'm talking guys that are more active than simple root-fifth. are there any country bassists that have taken the bass role to more of a lead instrument?

7. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Willie Nelson! Also a lot of Neil Young's stuff is pretty country.

8. townes van zandt, robert earl keen, jamey johnson, jerry jeff walker, merle haggard, check out allison moorer.
    I hope you like whiskey, cause you're gonna need it!

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    George Strait ain't bad. Billy Currington has some relaxing songs--"People are Crazy." Brad Paisley too but they're very pop-country. The Crazy Heart soundtrack is good. Emmylou Harris always good. The album, "Van Lear Rose" by Loretta Lynn (w/ Jack White). Then move over to some Roy Orbison & Eddie Cochran. Not necessarily country but good stuff. Early Dylan solo acoustic folk work is worth a listen.

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The Eagles! :D

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    "Achin To Be" by the Replacements--best country song by a punk band.
    "Must Be Doin Something Right," by Billy Currington. Very nice. Go make babies.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Eh?

13. We just added "Red Solo Cup" by Toby Keith and "Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer" by Billy Currington. Boring on bass but a drunk crowd sure eats it up.

14. Good call Chuck Norriss on Achin' To Be. One of my fav late period 'Mats tunes. I never really thought of it as country, but I guess you're right.

15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Actually, I'm only half joking- Lyin' Eyes, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise and Take It Easy are country songs, period, and very enjoyable IMO. They just don't get credit for it because the Eagles wrote them.

16. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    gotta go with Merle Haggard...

he lives about 15 miles from me, and one of his old drummers is a friend

17. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Since you mentioned Hank, make sure you check out all three of them. Hank III does some great country stuff and sounds a lot like his grandfather. Hank Jr. is a legend of course. There's also Shooter Jennings, Waylon's son. Josh Thompson has some good songs, and I'm a fan of some Colt Ford; he's different but some of his stuff is great. Darius Rucker is great, and so is The Band Perry. I also love bands like Alabama, Confederate Railroad, and The Kentucky Headhunters, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Also, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Waylon Jennings, Charlie Pride, Marty Stuart, Kris Kristopherson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Merle Haggard, and Waylon Jennings.

18. dave hardin (cousin of the late tim hrdin) just got signed to ride records out of nashville. also steve azar , steve earle , towns van zant , shake russell , robert earl keen, guy clark, emmylou harris, joe ely.....the road goes on.....

19. Tullykennedy

Tullykennedy Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I appreciate the kind words.... thx man