Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some good "Jam" bands please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 16, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wondering if anyone could turn me on to some good jam bands in the vein of Blues Traveler, Spin Doctors, Black Crows, Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, ect.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Phish.

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    oysterhead. the band is les claypool (from primus) on bass and trey i dont know his last name (from phish) on guitar and stewert copeland (from the police) on drums. they rock check out some of their songs like "oz is ever floating" "pseudo suicide" and "little faces". they have a couple of cool live videos at www.oysterhead.com .peace;)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The Allman Brothers...not in the exact vein as Blues Traveler, but nevertheless, one terrific jam band.

5. I've been a Phish fan for a long time. If you're interested in checking out jam bands, you've gotta check 'em out.

A lot of folks also really like Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, and Moe.

6. FOUR posts and no one mentions the Grateful Dead??? :eek:

...oh...and check out some live Blind Melon...

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, does Blind Melon have an official live release?

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Big Wu are popular with the hippies at my school (hippies = jam band fans), also The String Cheese Incident. Im not really sure it TSCI is a jam band though. Of course The Dead and Phish.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The early Aquarium Rescue Unit albums...

10. nope...sadly enough, just boots...

11. oh yes...they're great...:D

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yowza!! Also, check out some Gov't Mule and Derek Trucks Band.

13. Some categorize Medeski, Martin, and Wood as a jam band (questionable IMHO), I just categorize them as one of my favorite bands and some of my favorite musicians of all time ever in the HISTORY OF EVER!

JMHO :D

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, yeah...whatever. ;)
    Have you checked out John Medeski with Headless Torsos' guitarist David Fuizcynski on Lunar Crush?
    I was listenin' to some David S. Ware's 4-tet yesterday...now there's a jam band that'll hurt ya! ;)

15. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Right on. Col. Bruce made the band IMO. You just gotta love the dead. Also check out Moe, Leftover Salmon, Keller Williams, Phish(of course), The Disco Biscuits, The New Deal, The Slip(one of the best bands in the history of mankind), Ulu, The Greyboy Allstars, Rhesus;) , Phil and friends. There are many, many more worth checking out.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...so were you also a Fiji Mariners' fan?

17. Obviously you have never been to a SCI concert. They are probably my favorite band, next to Phish. If you define Jam bands, as bands that Jam Live, which is what I do, I saw SCI jam out on a song for an hour and a half at a show, without interruption. Best show ever. Definitely check them out, and Moe, two very ignored bands.

18. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    You know, I've never heared them. I do love what he and Oteil did with ARU though. I think "no ego under water" sums it up pretty well.

19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I just don't get String Cheese. All my buddies have been raving about them for a while, so I saw them a few times. They DO jam damn near forever, but it's the same tension and release - mixolidian stuff I've been hearing for years. They just sound kind of generic to me. Maybe I just need to catch them on a good night.

20. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Try KVHW or Widespread Panic