Recommend me some good pots & wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Biggbass, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Brought home a 30 yr old PJ this weekend and need to replace pots -two Vol & one tone ... dead spots, crackle & hum, etc makes it unusable until so...
    So please recommend me some good replacements. Are Duncans better than CTS? or do they all come from the same place?
    also, might replace wiring while at it. any good wire recommendations?
    Thinking vintage style cloth covered 22 ga from Callaham

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. CTS are not the best, but certainly the most popular, and of very high quality. Most people use them.

The wire doesn't matter. Use anything that you can get your hands on. (Though ~24AWG stranded copper is preferable, as it's thin enough to be workable, yet thick enough to not be brittle.)

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I prefer to work with teflon coated wire.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pics or no PJ.

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I used some Seymour Duncan pots recently, they looked like CTS, but who knows, they had "Seymour Duncan" stamped right into the back of the housing, they worked just fine. I have been using 22 gauge Teflon 9 strand, pre tinned insulated wire, it's small, (the Teflon insulator is thin, but quite durable),it's stiff enough to hold it's shape fairly well, so it looks neat and stays in place better than pvc wire, it's easy to work with, and it won't burn from a soldering iron, (not enough heat to burn the Teflon). If I'm making that Teflon wire sound as if it were perfect..it is..other than not being vintage.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I use Bourns solid shaft mini pots, because they are small bodied, inexpensive, high quality and have a tight turn resistance. But in your case, I would get some deoxit and see if you can clean the originals and get them working properly again.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021