Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some Grind-core bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 12, 2004.

1. My friend asked me to play in his Grind-core band, but I have never heard of grind-core before and I was just seeing if anyone knew any good bands in that category.

2. I may be wrong, but I believe Carcass (not together anymore, they broke up a few years back) is considered grind core. Whatever they were classified as, they seriously rocked....if you like your metal heavy and technical that is..
    P.S. Are we the only Coloradans here ?

3. There are a few others. I can't recall their names right now.

4. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    www.fastsounds.net

i believe they have some. check out: anal ****, pig destroyer (kinda metal, but whatever), cephalic carnage. god i used to know so many, but i stopped listening to grind. looks like im gonna have to bust out some old cd's.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm not sure if grindcore purists would consider this "grindcore" but:

Combatwoundedveteran
    Locust
    An Albatross
    Lightning Bolt (arty grindcore...but seriously the loudest band on the planet)

6. Anal ****
    Locust
    Pig Destroyer
    As The Sun Sets
    Albatross
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed
    Red Rocket Fiasco
    A*suck
    XFilesX
    DRI(maybe)
    Cryptopsy(some what)
    Capitalist Casualties

Lightning Bolt is not grind core however. It is scary bass and drum act. But not quite grind.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Just get a Napalm Death album. Listen. Repeat.

8. dig'em

dig'em

Feb 14, 2004
    Portland
    AC, Locust, and Agoraphobic Nosebleed good places to start, as well as Phobia and Nasum. xFilesx is straight edge hardcore, and Capitalist Casualties are Powerviolence :p

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Anal C-You-En-T

i just felt like saying that.

Edit:

HHA HAHA. The filter didnt catch it, so i had to come fix it. :p

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sad it took that long for someone to say Napalm Death. That's the first band that comes to mind whenever anyone says grindcore to me.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I also like Napalms Death's social awareness and lyrical content. It's not as pretentious as RATM, and while it may be a little simplistic, at least it's not splatterhouse (Cannibal Corpse) lyrics or a strident Satanic thing (Morbid Angel).

Which makes enjoying them all the much easier and better. Grindcore doesn't need to be seen live to "get it," (though it helps) you just need a kicking stereo and the willingness to headbang like you've got a badger on your head who has a hankerin' for your cerebral cortex.

12. North carolina psuedo grindcore-Glass Casket hxcmp3.com

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Cephalic Carnage
    Early Carcass

If you don't know what grind-core is then you definitely shouldn't being playing it IMHO. Your heart will not be in it and YOU WILL BECOME VERY BORED.

A friend of mine asked me to join his Brutal Death Metal band. I did but quickly quit. My heart just wasn't in it. As long as I was in that band I was being a poser. I asked him why he liked that style of music and he said that's just how he feels. He was in it for all the right reasons.

My heart belongs to Classic Rock and Sludge/Stoner Metal. I can't change that even if I wanted to. It's just how I feel.

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Terrorizer and Repulsion are good grindcore bands, too.

15. I checked out their band yesterday (bassless unfortunately) and I really really liked it. Ive never played metal before, but while listening I thought up some really cool basslines for the songs. They are like some of the grindcore bands you guys mentioned, but a bit more funkier and techincal. Ill be having a load of fun.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Pusillanimous Smegma
    Not sure though, that might be fromage-core...