1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me some half rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Apr 11, 2010.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Like the title says. My main P-bass's neck is being repaired right now. For the longest time it was strung with LaBella Jamersons and before that Roto Trubass 88s. It hasn't had rounds on it in years (maybe 5? When did Fender come out with those nylon rounds?)

Awhile ago, shortly before I took a piece outta the neck, I broke a string and replaced them with the only strings I had on me which were DR Lo-Riders. I like not changing my strungs often and I miss the flats, but I could use some more grind as I prepare to install a new Dark Star up by the neck. I currently have a 70s Classic Jazz neck on there until the other one is fixed. I plan on putting the new strings back on when the old neck does.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Of the half wounds I have tried, I have liked the GHS Brite Flats best. Did not like D'Addario Half Wounds at all.

My favorite of the "middle ground" strings are the pressure wounds, but it sounds like you want to be closer to the flat sound than the round sound. Half rounds are like flats with a little bit of edge, and pressurewounds are like well broken in rounds.

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

When I purchased my Vic Bailey 5str acoustic I first tried flats on it. I dig flats on a P but it wasn't doing it for me on the acoustic, so I tried the D'Addario ENR71-5 half wounds and couldn't be happier! Tension is fine, feel good under the fingers, and gives me the best of both worlds in regards to flat vs roundwound. I've had them on at least 6 months, still sound great.

4. thewatchtech

thewatchtech

Feb 28, 2009
    I've tried the D'Addario half rounds and GHS Pressurewounds and have to give the nod to the GHS. D'Addario were OK, but GHS feel much smoother out of the box and are closer to a roundwound in tone, which is what I was looking for on that bass.

5. tcald2004

tcald2004 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    tupelo, mississippi
    have only tried the daddario halfrounds. they are sticky feeling, which is hard to get used to. but, i love the sound. very nice with my darkstar in the p position. thick and warm with a little edge.

6. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    My favorites are quarter-rounds by Labella. They don't have that sticky feeling like the Daddario. Out of the box, they're a little brighter than I like, but they mellow nicely.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have GHS Brite Flats on my P. (I just put a fresh set on 2 weeks ago) The only complaint I have about them is they are kinda sticky right out of the package. I've played 2 gigs on them, (4 nights) and they're smoothing out. They last a long long time, so the break in period isn't really that big of a deal.

They have good tension (for me), great tone (for me) and they last a long long time.

8. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    D'Addario half rounds.
    Had tried many different sets before going with these on my Pbass.
    Set has stayed since 1981. Have tried other sets on different basses, but I think the D'Addario half rounds sound the best.

9. Have played and like D'ad but am giving the GHS pressurewounds a go on my jazz bass. We'll see.

10. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I love the GHS pressurewound on my fretless, but I'm looking for roundwound tone without the fretboard damage.

My favorite halfround strings for getting a nice midpoint between roundwound and flats are the Ken Smith slick round. I prefer their sound the the D'Addarios, and they're cheaper!

:hyper:

11. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

got a set of SIT Silencers on the way too, anyone give them a try yet?

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm a Ken Smith Compressor fanboy when it comes to "in-between" strings. They sound like warm, fat rounds and the feel is smoother and softer than rounds.

13. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Overall, I'm a fan of SIT. I have two basses strung with their nickel rock brights and enjoy them very much.

and yes I have Silencers on my Yamaha RBX4-A2. Woke this bass up, after trying a few different rounds.

14. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I've had Silencers on both my 5 string fretless and 4 string P for a couple of months now. Love these strings. Great feel, good tension (especially the B), low string noise. I reviewed them more extensively here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618963&highlight=silencers

15. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Status Hotwire half rounds are pretty good.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I recently put D'Addario Half Rounds on my Brubaker Brute, and I'm pretty darn impressed. I was wanting to cut down on some 'clanky brightness' and I hate flats with a passion. These are just right, and I was surprised that they had even tension, unlike other D'Addario sets.

The B string to me was really weak though. I ended up putting a roundwound B string back on, and it blends perfectly since most B strings are not as bright as the other strings anyway.

17. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I used D'Addario 1/2 rounds for a while before switching to Chromes and IMHO they really are not that much brighter than Chromes after they were "played in". Like others have said, they are sticky when you first put them on. I was never really comfortable with rounds and I had a lot of string noise because of my shorter fingers. I can't speak for other brands, but if you are looking for a roundwound tone, then you might as well use rounds. Otherwise for me at least, I'd use Chromes or something similar.

18. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I agree. I have halfs on my fretless at the moment but they are more like flats than rounds, and I will go back to the flats once I've had some use out of them.

19. telglen

telglen

Jan 30, 2003
    Australia
    I jave used Daddario 1/2 rounds for 35 years,I still use them on a 58 p and 64j and love them,I have recenty begun using TI flats on a 59p and a 56p and they are real nice.I have a set of TI round wound on a 63 j and I am not 100% happy.

20. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    I also use the GHS Brite Flats on a '75 Precision. The sound is great. Good funky old-school sound when playing bluesy stuff (with fingers) but bright enough for a Grateful Dead cover (pick) as well.