Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some Indian music!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Im half Indian, and for some reason lately have been really into Ravi Shankar. The sound is so different from what Im used to but I can listen to the pieces (some in the range of 12 minutes or longer) and love every second of it. The percussion is amazing, the sitar work blows my mind, I love the note choices and ofcourse the playing isn't too bad either :smug: .

So far I just have Ravi Shankar, about 12 pieces. Also, is there a form of instrumental besides the raga? Thats all I've been able to find besides some cool chants.

Pretty much if anyone knows of other amazing sitar players or indian and middle easter music along those lines (instrumentals preferably, although chants are cool, just not the Hindi music video screetching) please jump in with your recomendations.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya know... in theory I should be able to help you out, provide lots of links, names, song forms, concepts...etc. Because for the past year or so one of my best friends has been studying indian classical and relying nearly everything he learns to me. The only thing is... I don't really like indian classical all that much. I have heard some really neat raags but typically, it just doesn't interest me. *shrug* My loss(and I guess yours by default) I guess.

The only thing I can provide is that iTunes has a *huge* selection of indian classical, do a search for 'raga' or 'raag' and you will be flooded by results, from there you can explore the various artists that pop up.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The only thing I'm familiar with is the Shakti stuff. Incredible, but I'm not sure how authentic considering McLaughlin is adding to the soup.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Get some Trilok Gurtu - awesome music. Kai Eckhardt is even on a couple discs.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

More authentic than some of the other stuff Zakir Hussain has been doing since then. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :cool:

The original Shakti band was possibly one of the worst bands of all time to have to follow on stage.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Anything by Ali Akbar Kahn.

He and Ravi Shankar grew up together and were both trained by Kahn's father who is considered one of the greatest Indian musicians of all time.

Another interesting player is Guitarist, V.M. Bhatt. He plays a modified guitar. Interesting stuff. He did a record with Ry Cooder some years back. I think it was called "Meeting by the river."

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Look on www.allmusic.com

It will provide you all the answers you want/need, plus some you don't.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I saw the Shakti Revisited(?) tour sometime in the mid 90s or so at Paramount Theatre in Oakland. They sat down on a carpet in center stage and proceeded to absolutely SHRED. It was like nothing I've ever seen and judging by the slack jaws in the audience, everyone was floored. It was amazing.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    namaste.

shakti
    ravi shankar with phillip glass (very important album to have!!)
    natraj (indo fusion band from boston, Dave Henning might remember them)
    trilok gurtu
    shoba gurtu
    zakir hussan
    pransanna
    akbar ali khan
    nusrat nateh ali khan
    .... just PM- me.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Remember Shakti, right? I saw one of the tours around then in Portland, it was cool. In the original band, McLaughlin played an acoustic Gibson with resonator strings and a scalloped fingerboard, which probably isn't any more "authentic" than the ES-335 variant he played in the reunion band, but the vibe was a lot more consistent, I'd say. L. Shankar's violin playing is completely insane too.

I saw the original band headline in Central Park, in NYC. Could be the highest-energy show I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

Anyway, to try to add something directly on topic, check out the links here: Ali Akbar College Of Music

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bingo.

12. my brother sent me "a meeting by the river" and Bhatt's solo album a few years ago.
    personally I find the single key constraints of classical indian music a bit monotonous though...

I have an album by Shri- Drum, the bass;

http://www.salidaa.org.uk/salidaa/?id=400000951&page=archiveItem

[​IMG]
    -apparently he made that fretless bass himself.

"Camels" is almost a Les Claypool-style slap bassline.
    actress Myra Syaal sings on one song.

he's also done albums with a rapper as Badmarsh + Shri.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  14. i have the "concert for george" DVD and that has Ravi and his daughter playing sitar, and that is pretty cool!
    thats all i know though!

15. try and get stuff on this guy called Niladri Kumar.he plays on thhe sitar n he ROX!have seen him play live-the way he shreds on it,taps on it like a friggin guitar w distortion n all.real good.

other thn tht shakti rox,if u want indian rock check out the ol' RockMachine or INdusCreed albums.also ccheck out this indian band called thermal and a quarter!
    www.thermalandaquarter.com
    they abs rok..

n do check out my band mp3s as well!its there in recordings->check my band out :)

cheers