Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend Me Some Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by invisiman, Oct 10, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm new to the whole jazz scene, and I was hoping you guys could give me a good starting point of the "standards", and the like. The onl jazz I've ever heard is Weather Report, and what plays on the Jazz Cafe (a nifty little TV channel). I'm not as interested in the big-band aspect of jazz, but I'm willing to give anything a go.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

PS. If this has been done before, provide a link, and I'll get this one closed

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Well you have to pick up Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

3. start with the basics, Miles Davis and John Coltrane and Louis Armstrong. Also , since you are a bassist, check out Jacos solo work, his self titled album is his best.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane...all good stuff. Also make sure you check out jazz vocalists, too. Jane Monheit, Matt Dusk, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Diana Krall, and Eva Cassidy are my personal favourites.

Honeysuckle Rose = GREAT jazz standard. Also become familiar with A Night in Tunisia, If I Were a Bell, and Blame it on My Youth.

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Some of this is really...not what I expected. Either that, or I've been blessed with the misfortune of cominf across every slow, and down-beat jazz song in existance. Maybe jazz fuision is what I'm looking for?

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Try Medeski, Martin and Wood - "Uninvisible" is my favorite album...

7. you MUST go get some Wayne Shorter:
    Speak No Evil
    Night Dreamer
    Schizophrenia
    Juju
    The All Seeing Eye

Wes Montgomery:
    Smokin at the Half Note
    Full House
    So Much Guitar

All of the Miles Davis records that had the 2nd quintet i.e. Miles Smiles, ESP.

8. Anything by Michel Camilo, Michel Petrucciani, Steve Khan, Al DiMeola, John Patitucci, Chick Corea Akoustic Band.

That would be a good start. :)

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    +1 for wayne shorter, he's awesome

10. +1 for the +1 on Wayne! Someone else who knows...I think he is super underrated edit: unrecognized. Only the hard core jazzers know

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Brian Braumburg

12. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Thelonius Monk - "Bebop" jazz

OR how about

Dean Frasier - The "BIG UP" recording is jazz remakes of reggae "standards".

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    As a companion reccommendation to the Wayne Shorter mentions, I have to add his old partner.

Check out any Zawinul you can find. Gerald Veasley on bass if I recall. Very very gifted.

Also John Scofield is awesome. And you can't go wrong ( in the fusion world ) with Return to Forever. Stanley Clarke on bass, Al DiMeola on guitar, Chick Corea on Keys, Lenny White on drums. Amazing.

Pat Metheny is good too. Jaco toured with him for a while, and his regular bass player afterwards, Mark Egan had many jaco-isms trained into him by following Jaco. (Wow that was an incoherent sentence. Grammarians...HELP!) So any Metheny would be good. Anything with any of his long term collaborators( Jaco, Lyle Mays, Mark Egan, Danny Gottleib, etc...) would rock.

I've just gotten into Medeski, Martin, and Wood in the last year or so. They're great.

Find someone with a tone or style that grabs you and look for everything by them that you can find.

edit: Notice you do NOT see any soft jazz stars listed here. That's not an accident. If you get into that stuff, I'm happy for you. It can be fun to play. It's great for getting to sleep But it's not what jazzz is about, at least to me.

further edit: Okay Diana Krall is great and she's on the soft jazz stations. But I see her more as a traditionalist who has crossover appeal to the cheesy stations. And really hot. Elvis Costello(Mr. Krall, so to speak) is a very lucky man.

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's a few others:
    Grant Green
    Sonny Clark
    Johnny Hartman
    Theolonius Monk
    Jim Hall
    Bill Evans
    Clark Terry