1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me some Steve Swallow

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Apr 23, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I've always wanted to check out his playing, but for some reason he keeps escaping my radar. I hear a lot about him, and I've seen some of he and Carla Bley's compositions in the Real Book, but I'm not sure where to start with him. I thought of maybe starting with the recent trio release with him, John Scofield and Bill Stewart as I'm pretty familiar with Scofield and it would give me a context to listen to him in.

Recommend me some other good albums.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I recommend the following:

John Scofield - 'En Route'

John Scofield/Pat Metheny - 'I Can See Your House From Here'

Steve Swallow - 'Home'
    Steve Swallow - 'Real Book'
    Steve Swallow - 'Deconstructed'
    Steve Swallow - 'Always Pack Your Uniform On Top'
    Steve Swallow - 'Damaged in Transit'

Carla Bley/Steve Swallow - 'Duets', 'Go Together', 'Are We There Yet?'

Carla Bley - 'The Lost Chords', 'Looking for America'

Gary Burton/Stephane Grappelli - 'Paris Encounter'

Gary Burton/Steve Swallow - 'Hotel Hello'

Steve Kuhn - 'Trance'

Here's two old videoclips:
    With the Gary Burton Band in 1974:

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    David has given a good list. My favorite Steve Swallow album is Home, in terms of his tone, his playing, and his compositions.

I would add two other personal favorites, Dreams So Real by the Gary Burton Quintet and Vertical's Currency by Kip Hanrahan. The Hanrahan CD is a latin/jazz/rock fusion concoction featuring Jack Bruce on bass and vocals, so most of the cuts have Jack Bruce playing together with Steve Swallow. It's inspiring.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Scofield's "Shinola"

5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    also check out some of the work with Jimmy Giuffre. First on DB, but there is some stuff that is more recent with him on electric, that is great. I love the Jimmy Giuffre trio

and Gary Burton's Passengers has both Swallow and Eberhard Weber - compare and contrast, class!

and Vertical's Currency is inspiring on many levels.

6. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 on the Giuffre recordings.

Also, not mentioned yet it "Blue Camel" by Rabih Abou-Khalil. Swallow plays very nice stuff on that one, integrating himself seamlessly in an otherwise acoustic ensemble.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    David pretty much nailed it... John Scofield/Pat Metheny - 'I Can See Your House From Here' is my favorite!

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  9. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Vertical's Currency; I might be forced to quit music if I heard that. I'm in a band with two bass players, but after hearing a Bruce/Swallow team up, I'm pretty sure that would be it for me.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Should add to the list the new album "We Three" by Dave Liebman, Steve Swallow and Adam Nussbaum.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245042

Have only heard one track off it so far, but it sounded good!

In the 'Bass Player' article I linked to above, Steve mentions that his next release will be another album of music set to the poetry of Robert Creeley.

The UK's finest jazz singer, Norma Winstone (who has recorded and performed with Steve several times) is touring this Spring with "Norma Winstone sings Steve Swallow" - she has put lyrics to many of Steve's compositions over the years. Hopefully there will be a recording too.

11. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thanks for the interview link David...
    great stuff!

shawn

12. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I would HIGHLY recommend 2 cd's from a danish jazzlabel (Stunt).

The first one is Hans Ulrik, Jonas Johansen and Steve Swallow - Trio.

The second is Tin Pan Aliens, also featuring Hans Ulrik, Jonas Johansen and Steve Swallow.

Both cd's feature Steve very interesting playing and unique tone.

Check them out at www.cdjazz.com

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the heads up - I shall definitely be avoiding those like the plague, then!! ;)

14. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Hahaha.. :D I understand. However I really like his wierd special tone. And the two albums I've recommended is really something worth checking out.

15. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Norma Winstone has a lovely voice. I would like to hear that.

Speaking of singers, I wish what Swallow would collaborate with Sheila Jordan again. They have made at least two beautiful albums together -- her Portrait of Sheila (1964) ahd his Home (1980).

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup I am specifically avoiding the gig when she comes to Brighton!! :(

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Don't worry Bruce, Steve isn't involved in this tour. It's the MUSIC of Steve Swallow.

The lineup will be:
    Norma Winstone - vocals
    Gwilym Simcock - piano
    Tim Garland - saxes
    Chris Laurence - bass
    Ben Davis - cello
    Martin France - drums

That's a great line-up that is definitely worth catching in my opinion.
    http://www.bashomusic.co.uk/norma.htm

18. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I like Chris Laurence - he has wonderful tone - both pizz and arco! :) All the other players are very good musicians as well - I've seen them all play several times.

Norma is coming to Brighton Jazz club in May - but only with a duo of musicians and no bass player...:(

I can't go anyway...due to other commitments.

19. Nami

Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Israel
    I realy like 'Home' ....
    I'm playing Ice Cream in a gig soon

20. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I once saw Wayne Shorter open a set with "In the Fall" from that album. It was surprising to hear a composer of Shorter's stature open a set with a non-standard that was written by someone else. It kicked ass.