1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me some strings for my Warwick $$ 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crabby, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I am a die hard Slinky user on my Ernie ball bases but have recently come to own a German $$ five string. This bass is totally different then anything I have played before. It has some very dead stainless strings of unknown brand or size. What do Warwick fans use to keep their bases sounding growly and "Warwick" like? Would Slinky's be good or should I stick with a stainless string. Pretty subjective question I know but hoping to get some opinions on what seems to work best on these bases. At the moment, the bass sounds very dark with no high end sparkle at all.

2. DR hi beams

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    u could always try rotosound swing bass as well.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Try the EB slinkies you like. Rotosound swing 66 for even more growly/

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I jammed with this bass tonight and it sounds insanely good in the mix. I think I will stick with stainless strings and am really getting used to the ones on the bass now which I think may even be the original Warwick strings. They are dead but the bass has so much depth and punch but somehow manages to cut through the mix very well.

I can only imagine how good a new set will sound. Anyone know what the stock gage's are on these bases?

6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Old thread, but I thought I would throw this out there:
    Warwick basses come from the factory with their strings on them. For a 4 string its just a regular .105 - .045 set. The five string set is .135 to .045. I haven't tried the Warwick strings, but to my mind a .135 B sounds like a pretty big string. They also suggest using a tapered B string. I'm going through a setup nightmare with my own German $$ 5-string, so I can tell you that getting the string in the saddles correctly is a must.

7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Standard string gauges from Warwick are as follows:

4-string: .045" .065" .085" .105" (40200M)

5-string: .045" .065" .085" .105" .135" (40301M)

6-string: .025" .045" .065" .085" .105" .135" (40401M)

Bolt-on basses ship with Warwick Black Label string, and Custom Shop / Neck-through basses ship with Warwick EMP strings. Personally I've become quite fond of the EMP strings (Stainless Steel - coated), but also like the Warwick Yellow label nickel strings. We do recommend a tapered-B string. Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!