Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Savino, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    All right gents,
    I got this NEW La Scala, (not braggin, I Swear ;)) I requested correli 370f's on thy NEW bass. The strings were cool on my last bass, so i tried em again, but they aint happenin on this one. Great for arco, Sh$t for pizz. I cooked up a pot of old spirocores and slapped em on. Damn if that bass didnt loosen some ceiling tiles!!! But . . . my bow magically turned into an agony stick. I've been reading all these threads on the Obligatos, seems like a lot of yous fall out of love with them real fast. I read somewhere that Renaud Garcia Fons uses Spiro Weichs. never tried them. Could this be possible, despite the rumors that they are bad arco strings?? Insight?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Obligatos are wonderful hybrid strings. They sound very dark and mellow for pizz(with decent sustain too), and are very easy to play with the bow. Thomastik Spirocore Weichs do sound good with the bow after they have been played in for a while. They are very scratchy at first. I am playing Thomastik Superflexibles now. They are designed as a hybrid pizz/arco string. They are darker sounding than Spirocores, and are much less scratchy with the bow. I am really quite pleased with them. The tension is perfect for me, and the sound is really smooth.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Weichs might work for you. In the Obligato arena I'd also mention Spirocore Solos.

And -- congrats on the new fiddle! I can't wait to see it.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had Weichs on my La Scala when I first got it, with an Orchestra E, at Arnold's recommendation. It sounded great, rattled the room, as you noted. The thing with Weichs and arco; they take a loooong time to get to a point where they sound good under the bow, but once you're past that point, they have a really nice clarity, almost a cello-like voice. And they growl for days when you're pizz-ing ("pizzing" just didn't look right :meh:)

It was those very reasons that drove me towards the Obligatos. I wanted the La Scala to sound more like a bass, especially in the high range, so I made the switch in early August. I'm really loving them on this bass. They sound full and warm, and not as "fretless bassy" as did the Spiros. Arco is finally fun! And they feel really great, even up in thumb position. I guess it's too soon for me to address the short lifespan and rolling issues; so far, they are really doing the job for me.

Let me say, though, that the Spiros sounded spectacular on this bass, too. They are sitting coiled and waiting in the drawer, waiting for the moment when I wanna get my growwwl back.

5. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Thanks boys.
    Whoa, i have to make a choice. anyone have a used set of Weichs lying around? :D
    Marcus, thanks for chiming in. I was hoping you and Chrispy Fitzcritter were out there. It seems that the Obligatos are advertised as a gut like sound. TRUE? This ain't my bag really. I need more of a articulate sound. Lots of growl and overtones without sacrificing that sweet arco tone. Are you out there, The Prince of Strings? OK ,Im tripping. Anyway, anymore experiences with bowing de weichs?

6. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have bowed Weichs in the past. They are decent after they have been well played. I think you may want to give the Superflexibles a try. They are darker than Spirocores(closer to Weichs), are less scratchy, and still growl. They are clear sounding. They are also quite affordable in relation to most other strings on the market.

7. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Well I just ordered some Weichs from ALLHAIL. Gotta start somewhere. I thought my days of exstringimentation (WEBSTERS:the practice of spending all your money, looking for strings) was over. It seems a lot of people I admire use em. Thanks for the info guys. The superflex seem interesting as well. But for now Ill go for the great pizz growl and be patient to make that arco tone come out. Thanks again all, mike

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I wouldn't call the Oblis sound gutlike either. They are well focused and very balanced and even all over the whole range of the bass. They have great sustain and good growl. To my ears, they have less of an emphasis on the midrange tones than the Spiros.

Given your definition of your tastes, I think you'll love the Weichs. They sound and feel great, and they age very well. You might want to try the Orch E string trick down the road, but I predict you'll be very happy with the Weich/La Scala combo.

P.S.,Mike...don't be put off by the "boingy-ness" of the Weichs immediately after you put them on...they mellow out nicely in about a week, like most metal strings. The arco is manageable sometime after that, maybe 2-3 weeks in my experience.

9. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    thanks M-Jo
    I've never been put-off by boing-iness before. :smug:

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So that was you I saw at Hooters.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Adrian, I'm curious...what kinda longevity do you get from the Superflexibles?

Whoops, nevermind, I just found the Superflex thread...I guess I can assume that they'll last awhile, like most Thomastiks. BTW, if any of y'all play guitar, particularly jazz guitar, try their guitar strings. They're every bit as wonderful as the bass strings.

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have only had Superflexibles once before, and that was when I first started to play. I sold them with that bass. I will definitely keep you guys up to date on how the strings are lasting. I expect them to darken further and last about the same as Spirocores do. Probably about 1 to 1.5 years before they start to loose intonation and clarity.

13. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Just wanted to update this thread as it's been 2 and a 1/2 months since I put those Weichs on the La Scala. The arco scratchiness has calmed down a bit but the pizz growl has also dissappeared. Where did it go? Im not really sure.
    I know the ulimate hybrid string is out there. Someone must know. I'm curious how the obligatos are holding up Marcus, if youre out there. Updates on the Superflexibles? All im looking for is a punchy, growling pizz and a non scratchy smooth arco tone. It seems so simple. help? Any La Scala boys feel that they have the right strings for this bass?

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    While you are at it, throw in "lasts 3-5 years with daily playing" and an price tag of $9.99.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm out there :smug:

The Oblis are an unqualified success on my La Scala. I love 'em. They are growly, but in a different way from the "growl for days" of the Spiros. They sound more organic, less "fretless slab", for lack of a better phrase. They are louder than the Spiros were. They are very balanced all over the whole range of the bass. They bow beautifully. They haven't gone dead at all yet, and they feel great; more flexible than they did at first. I haven't experienced any of the rolling that some people have complained about. I believe I'll stick with them for the forseeable future.