1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me the best gated Bass Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazznrick, Jan 8, 2018.

1. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    so lately I’ve been putting together a synth pedal set up(Synth Voice and Subdecay Prometheus). It has come to my attention I may need a gated fuzz. I already have a Spaceman Titan ll, a Wounded Paw Attack Goat, and a DAM Ezekiel. I’d like this to be a fantastic fuzz even when not using it as a synth effect. I had been considering the Broughton Bass Box or the Rocket Surgeon Seratone.
    No price limit. Thanks a lot!!

alecduncan likes this.
  2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The term "best" is totally subjective, so you're going to get results all over the map...

Here are things to check out on youtube and ask about specifically that are classified as gated fuzzes:
    smallsound/bigssound TAFM
    Old Blood Noise Endeavors Haunt
    Fuzzrocious Blast Furnace
    Dunlop Fuzz Face
    Brown Dog
    Malekko Diabolik/B:Assmaster

3. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Banned Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Zvex Mastotron. It doesn't lose any low end, plays well with other pedals anywhere in your signal chain, versatile (can do super gated/synth or thick muff-ish fuzz) and can be had for about $90-100 used.

4. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I've really wanted the Old Blood Noise Effects Haunt for a while. Sounds great in every demo and has a useful control scheme. Maybe the Zvex Mastotron can get more synthy though? They're two that I thought seemed most appealing.

I have a Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom, but I find I loose too much low end with it. Apart from that, Way Huge Conquistador? I've not heard any bass demos so who knows what that's like.

jazznrick likes this.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you might want to look for a chunk systems brown dog. i think that it's a great fuzz with or without the gate setting. they're no longer made but you can find them used.
    IMO, the SS/BS team awesome fuzz machine is another great one.

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    TAFM fills that role very nicely for me.

7. jazznrick

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    hey johnk, is the Brown Dog the better of the two regardless of price/availability?

8. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    TAFM all the way. Killer gated fuzz tones.

Moosehead1966 and jazznrick like this.
  9. TAFM or Shoe Pedals 'Pixel'

johnk_10 and jazznrick like this.
  10. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    TAFM or Malekko B:assmaster/Diabolik

jazznrick and Moosehead1966 like this.
  11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Better is definitely subjective. I've owned a couple Brown Dogs (and a johnk clone) and I have a TAFM.

For funk and/or synth applications I think the Brown Dog is the best option. I like the TAFM because it does funk/synth decently while also (IMO) being a better straight heavy fuzz better than the Brown Dog.

In other words, I think the Brown Dog is better at what it does well while the TAFM is more versatile. To me anyway.

12. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I run a TAFM into a Prometheus and they work fantastically together. My Brown Dog is forever paired with its 00Funk.

Bo0tsy and jazznrick like this.
  13. jazznrick

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    That’s what I need to hear, Thanks!!

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Jared summed it up the same way that i would.

Moosehead1966 and jazznrick like this.
  15. Cinzel

Cinzel

Jan 3, 2018
    Oporto, Portugal
    Is the EQD Erupter any good for synth bass kind of sounds?

16. There's also the Iron Ether Oxide (which has been on my wishlist for literally forever!) though not sure if IE still produce them.

17. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    For synth style fuzz i'd second the TAFM.
    For allround Fuzz application and a good job in the synth setup i'd recommend the
    OBNE Haunt. I got mine from a friend, not knowing what to expect out of it and it became my favourite fuzz.
    One switch sets it from wooly to gnarly, the gate works well and above all, it has a blend knob. With the fuzz set to quite gnarly and the blend set to 90% dry, you get a really nice and usable signal.
    I used an octaver (with only the -1 passing through) into the Haunt into an Envelope Filter to get a credible synth.

18. Mastotron or Wooly Mammoth is my favorite. The IE Oxide is a close runner up and can also do brassmaster type sounds.

19. Wooly Mammoth, either used or if you are courageous/crazy, DIY!

The pinch control works really well.

A version of the pinch can also be added to most Big Muffs (super fan of that pedal!).

20. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I've been looking for a synthy fuzz for awhile, the best result with stacking. my 1st one was EH Bass Blogger into Dunlop Torch. The Bass blogger on overdrive was very synthy actually, just not dynamic enough for an overdrive (and finicky power), and adding some Torch made it jump out. Tried Brown Dog and didn't like it's recorded sound, not enough impact. Now, ssbs Mini does synthy very well because of the bias control, but Mini into TAFM is the ultimate. I use the Attack Goat to add an upper octave of fuzz to either, it's a great pedal on it's own in a band mix.
    Originally I suppose I was looking for some of the Whooley Mammoth sound, but it sounds best solo without guitars, it does carry low end for sure. The Mooer Fog is actually a pretty good and cheep clone.

humboldtharris and jazznrick like this.