Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend music for someone wanting to get into jazz.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OriginalName, Aug 5, 2005.

1. The only two I've been recommended (by a former bass teacher) were Stanley Clarke and Jaco.

Any more?

If it matters, I'm into metal now. Black, death, power, prog, doom, whatever.

So can anyone help me? I'm looking for albums.

2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Go to the source, listen to:

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
    Duke Ellington
    Coltrane

Etc....

If you listen to electric jazz bassists, check out Anthony Jackson, John Pattitucci, stuff where the bass is walkin the changes. There are too many bassists that equate jazz with soloing. My experiences have led me to believe walking is more satisfying than soloing.... percentage wise at least... ;)

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hmm, I guess the deffinition of Jazz is pretty loose, but you might check out Soulive or Medeski Martin and Wood, and maybe Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey as well. Little more modern stuff, and maybe more groove oriented than some of the older stuff.

4. Yeah, I'm looking for electric bass stuff. Sorry, didn't specify.

And what would you classify as modern jazz?

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hey if you wanna listen to electric bass jazz, pick up Jaco Pastorius's self-titled album, anything from Weather Report (Heavy Weather's a good place to start), and definitely some of Stanley Clarke's solo stuff (School Days is a good place to start here). Best of luck and have fun.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Buy these:

The Mass - The Mass (jazz metal)
    Miles Davis - Pangaea (mostly electric fusion)
    Morphine - Cure For Pain (jazz rock)
    The Headhunters - The Headhunters (funky jazz)
    Marcus Miller - The Ozell Tapes (mostly traditional jazz played electrically)
    Medeski Martin Wood - Friday Afternoon in the Universe (groove oriented jazz)

I try to avoid modern fusion though, as most of it sounds like the music on the Weather Channel to me.

8. Kenny Wheeler
    Jeff Beck ( Blow by Blow)
    Mahuvishnu Orchestra
    Frank Zappa( Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka)

9. Thanks, I'll pick some of these up. :bassist:

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Didn't we just go through this?

Look up "jazz" and "beginners" for this forum, there was recently a topic with a LOT of advice in it.

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Sounds like you need a hard driving guitar-based transition into Jazz. ;) Therefore I would recommend three must listen Miles Davis albums for you:

The Man With The Horn
    Star People
    We Want Miles (Live)

All three of these albums feature some of the best Fender bass playing you're ever to hear in Jazz.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bebop...the roots of which sprouted 60+ years ago.

If you're really into 'doom', 'death', 'power', 'black', 'metal', etc-
    Check out Last Exit.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    o_O Not so much. Bebop originated in the 40's, yes, and is the root of basically all modern jazz, but is by no means itself "modern." Now it's just...expected.

IMO, modern stuff:
    Dave Holland's small ensemble stuff (Not for Nothing)
    Keith Jarret trio work with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette
    Pat Metheny's more *jazz* stuff (not so much the folkish wanderings with the PMG or Haden, for instance, but definitely, say, The Way Up)
    Laila Biali Trio (Introducing the Laila Biali Trio)
    Gordon Webster (threewe)
    Donny McCaslin (The Way Through)

etc.

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well if you want the traditional jazz, I don't know. I'm not big on that.

But I suggest some Fusion Jazz! So go out, and get Weather Report. Jaco died for our sins and made solo bass possible for us!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See, that's the problem of labels.
    Louis Armstrong was once considered 'Avant Garde', too.

BTW, just because something is being played today(2005) does not make it 'modern'...especially if it's just a rehash of what was being born in the '40s.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - if we're talking about labels - some people say that "fusion" - i.e. Jazz mixed with rock and electric instruments isn't Jazz at all and that Jazz died in 1970 and hasn't existed since!! ;)

Another attitude I've come across in live venues a lot, is people saying that Jazz has Double Bass and if it has bass guitar , then it's not Jazz!! :meh:

So I can remember a friend of mine who played both, saying to me that if he turned up with BG at certain venues - they would say - it's rock tonight then! Whereas if he turned up with DB they would know it was Jazz! :D

17. check out some John Scofield!!!

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's all looked at in historical context. Labels are necessary a necessary evil when feeding music to someone who's new to it. Otherwise, he might hear Ornette and swear off all jazz.

19. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Miles Davis Live Evil- Funky evil bass playing throughout