1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend New Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by canadian bass, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Hi
    I was thinking I am turning into my parents which is not cool. What I mean by this is that my parents were very close minded to music and hated everything I liked and they swore it would happen to me as I got older, well guesse what it's happening. I think I like about 15% of what is played on the radio and I am for ever changing the radio stations or I just listen to cd's. The problem is I miss that high of discovering something new and exciting. No offence to those who like these bands but to my ears I really don't like Yellow Card, Fall Out Boy, City and Colour which is all popular on our local radio station right now.
    I was hoping that their would be some TB'ers out their who could recommend some new stuff to me. Since the new mellenium I might have bought 10 cd's I used to buy that much in a year. Some of the newer cd's that I have bought and liked are
    Janes Addiction - Strays
    Foo Fighters - In your Honour, One by One
    The rest of the stuff I have bought have been greatest hits or old music, or Canadian stuff like the Tea Party and Matthew Good.
    New band that interest me are Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Dragon Force.
    What I am looking for is stuff that is influenced by the 80's Metal scene but modern sounding. I love the sounds of two leads guitars like stuff from Iron Maiden, Skid Row. Good thumping bass with nice fills and insane drumming like Neil Peart. Most of all I like slick production. Like Living colours first album was great song wise but I really did not like the production, it was too tinny if you will.to give you an idea of the sound I like here or some of my favorit albums
    Iron Maiden - Some Were In Time
    Skid Row - Slave to The Grind
    David Lee Roth - Eatem and Smile
    So finally the end of this long rant. Can anyone recommed some music to me given the back ground I have just described.

Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Screaming Headless Torsos' 2006 album...when it first came out, I remarked that it reminded me of Living Colour(sorta).
    FWIW, I much prefer their debut & the Torsos Live in NYC albums. And their 2-DVD set is great!

www.torsos.com

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Try out Funeral For A Friend.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Thanks for the input so far. I have heard Devon with Vai. I own the cd Sex and Religeon and I like the vocals so I will check it out along with the other bands mentioned.
    As for Metallica I would have to of lived in a cave for the last 20 years not to know them. IMO their heyday was from Ride The Lightning to Injustice For All my favorite album being Master Of Puppets and my Favorit Song Sanatarium. I just don't like anything after the black album. I gave St Anger an honest listen and thought the production was really weak., which I find odd as Bob Rock has produced some of my favorite albums DR Feelgood, Sonic Temple, but the drums especially turned me off.
    Keep the recommendations coming

Thanks

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Any of Steve Vai's solo stuff
    NELSON!
    Queensryche's Empire album
    Def Leppard

I guess I'll spare you the jazz recommendations.

7. Thanks Page. You were right I was not disappointed. I listened to 4 songs off of myspace Gaia being my favorite this song is so awsome followed by Life another great song Canada was good as well and Storm was alright. Definatly the best of the recommended bands so far.
    Funeral for a friend was ok but their was to much screaming in the vocals. I thought their best song was Juneau but all in all really not the sound I am after.
    Screaming Headless Torsos' were all right but again not a sound I am after. This is something I would rerally have to be in the mood for and not something I would listen to on a daily basis but I could get into it.
    Snarf thanks for the advise the problem is I am looking for a modern version of this type of music an evolution if you will. I have 260 cd's and I have most of the 80's metal stuff Motley, Queensryche, Dokken, Ratt, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Skid Row.I can go on and on.
    I can tell you I don't really care for the Darkness and I really dispise Nickleback and all the Nickleback want to be's.First and Foremost even though I am a bass player I love music with guitar solos and big sound. I have to say the closet I have gotten to that today is from Devin Townsend. I just can't imagine I am the only person who likes 80's metal, their must be some bands that have been influenced by it but have put a modern spin on it and thats what I am looking for. I will definatly be checking out more of Devin's stuff.
    I heard Buckcherry's new song Crazy Bitch and I thought that was pretty cool.

8. I feel your pain, because I cannot stand the radio, and all that clearchannel has to offer. I am lucky to have a friend who seems to have ESP on new bands, and is always the first to tell me about all the cool new stuff coming out. Some of the highlights I've recently/ not so recently gotten:

thrill seeker by August burns red: metal, pretty techish, good, bass is somewhat lacking, but good.

Give, by The bad Plus: excellent jazzy stuff, lots of fun, play around in different meters. Tallented musicians, the bassist has chops

You forgot it in people, by broken social scene: instrumental, upbeat, sunny music. Good basslines, sorta soundscapes-ish

...and they shall take up serpents, by byzantine: more metal, but different from anything else out there, good, techy, play with polyrhythms, cool vocals. Excellent lead guitar

Miss Machine, by Dillinger escape plan: the techiest metal you'll hear. Hard to understand, but if you enjoy being confused by your music, go for it. I love it, a personal fave.

Bug, by dinosaur jr: good indie rock.

Yoshimi battles the pink robots, by the flaming lips: it's weird, but cool. Rock-ish, but with a lot of samples.

As the palaces bur, by Lamb of god: best metal band out there right now in my opinion. Very heavy, but sorta progish. Good vocalist. Diffferent music. Highly reccomended

De-loused in the Comatorium, by The mars Volta: weird, experimental, latin rhythms, cool guitar work, flea playing some of the most solid basslines I've ever heard.

Uninvisible, by Medeski, martin and Wood: some of the groovinist, funkiest jazziest stuff I've heard in a while. Excellent

Nothing, by Meshuggah: heavy heavy heavy, rather atonal, but with brutal polyrhythms, excellent drummer, and interesting lead work

This godless endeavor, by Nevermore: the proggiest of prog rock. This is a fun, but very over the top album

any album by radiohead: that's not the name of the album, but radiohead puts out great rock music, that's slightly progish, but not really. Very individual. Good stuff

Ink Complete, by Spastic Ink: this is the weirdest stuff ever. Sometimes you'd swear theres no meter. 3 piece instrumental, bassist is great. Thet're a techier, less understandable rush. I love it

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I think that's a good amount to get you started though, Good luck!

9. MO542

MO542

Jan 6, 2006
    Nashville
    I’m a big fan of Stoner Rock. Check out

Kyuss (maybe my favorite band)
    Monster Magnet
    Fu Manchu
    Atomic Bitchwax

I’m also a big fan of Queens of the Stone Age. Their hardest album is probably ‘Songs for the Deaf’; their best is probably ‘Rated R’… of course that is my opinion.

Happy listening. :bassist:

10. +1 zillion. If you like his more mental side check out Strapping Young Lad as well. The song "Far Beyond Metal" does exactly what it says on the tin.

Opeth are always good for some metal action.

If you like the Maiden twin leads check out 3 Inches Of Blood- I think they're Canadian as well;) Iced Earth fit in here nicely as well; "Burnt Offerings" is a top notch album.

Maybe try some melodic death like In Flames, Dark Tranquility or Dissection.
    That ought to keep you going for a while:)

11. Just a suggestion-check out pandora.com, where you can build your own radio station (using several criteria, such as bands and songs you like) which will suggest and play for you similar (and sometimes not so similar music). It's pretty cool, and can turn you on to people you've never heard of before.

12. I gave 3" of blood a listen. I really enjoyed the music but I didn't really care for the vocals. It sounds like their is 2 singers one who sings who is ok and one who screams which I don't like but it's a minor annoyence. I really like the music.
    Still trying to find Iced Earth music to listen to.

13. i second the in flames motion...
    love those foreign bastards
    they came to toronto and my friend got to hang out with them in an HMV store for like half an hour :spit:

14. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    try some yngwie malmsteen... he's very 80s influenced (duh) and he's also a great guitarist

15. +1

Another band, just about to release their latest (2nd album) is "The Eagles of Death Metal"
    Check out 'Desert Sessions' too.
    Another good stoner band that deserves a mention is Orange Goblin.
    Enjoy

16. The "Influences" list on my bands myspace (see sig) has a lot of good bands that you might enjoy.