Recommend octave pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RssllSdnyWllmsn, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RssllSdnyWllmsn

RssllSdnyWllmsn

Jan 12, 2018
    I've been playing my Fender bass VI lately through my guitar rig using my whammy pedal an octave up, sounding pretty gnarly ... Haven't played around with many octave pedals, any must have recommended ones?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If you like octave up, I think your choices are he EHX PoG or the TC Sub n’up. I’m sure there’s other offerings out there, but octave up isn’t really my thing.

If you want just octave down, get your can opener ready for that can of worms that is about to open.

mattbass6945 and RssllSdnyWllmsn like this.
  3. RssllSdnyWllmsn

RssllSdnyWllmsn

Jan 12, 2018
    I'm a fan of TC, that's the one I'm thinking about getting ... Thanks dude

CapnSev likes this.
  4. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    For a cheaper option, the Mooer Tender Octaver Mk II for both octave up and down.

nixdad, Pbassmanca, Low84 and 2 others like this.
  5. I've ab'd all three and I would like to say the Mooer is a "just as good" option.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    For me it is between the octron 3 and T-16 at the moment.

RssllSdnyWllmsn likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    None of which do an octave up. Personally not such a fan of octave up. I do like octave down though.

fleabitten likes this.
  8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Agreed.

fleabitten likes this.
  9. I had a POG 2 for a couple of years before selling it. Fantastic octave pedal which unfortunately didn't get used enough to warrant me keeping it. If not that then I would recommend checking out either the Micro or Nano POGs.

10. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    The Sub n Up offers 1 up and 2 down. It tracks good in the poly mode but the classic features an old school trait of not tracking so well which sounds useless to me. The toneprint option is very interesting. However, I have yet to create a setting that's useful. My computer skills and attention span are both sad. Well made little box.

11. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I use the mr. Black octave 2. Has mixeable low amd high octaves with a dry knob. Hard to find but great.

12. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    17ED2AB8-6435-404B-B8D4-4A10649E05E9.jpeg TC Sub n Up user here using it strictly octave up for my faux guitar a la royal blood style. I have a custom poly toneprint where I have the sub and sub 2 knobs dedicated to act as a lpf for the octave output.The sub knob sets frequency and sub 2 is the level gain drop off point to get rid of the shrilly digital synthy artifact that comes with the nature of effect. Works really well and even better with an eq set after the sub n up to fine tune and add some mids to get a better guitar type sound. I also use an ehx pitchfork set to 5th up to get my power chords. Still trying to find that perfect drive pedal but using a mooer fried mein guitar preamp pedal and an ehx green Russian reissue which is working great atm but still searching for something better. I also run this signal into a Traynor ygl1 15 watt tube guitar amp effects return.Currently waiting on a DOD Carcosa to arrive to see how it will work. Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. A few days ago I tried the Okto-Nøjs from Emma Electronic. Very good tracking, right down to low E an octave below the E string. Didn't buy it because it also has a fuzz section I don't think I'll use, and 200 euros is too much for a pedal one half of which I won't use. If you're into fuzz, you may love it.

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've had really good luck with:

Micro POG- I want to get one again but then again, I have the MD500 so I may not
    POG2
    Digitech BWhammy
    Boss PS6
    Boss OC2
    Zoom MS60B (got some great ways to get octaves from analogue/mono to digital/poly)
    Boss MD500- Overtone in there is awesome. POG like but more bloomy sounding if that makes sense
    DOD Meatbox reissue- for when you want to suck all the air out the room ;)
    MXR Bass Octave Dlx- had it for a short time but I thought it sounded pretty good

I've used all these for different things. POG type octaves for digital, strong tracking, solid and cutting. OC2 and Meatbox are used for those really dirty, full, analogue, glitchy goodness. Like all of them but they all do octaves very different.

15. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    As @gregmon79 pointed out there's a good chunk of great octave pedals out there but boils down to what you want to do with it. If it is stricly octave up for that faux guitar sound the a micro pog or even better pog 2 has lpf and attack controls to help clean up the octave up work great not to mention track amazing with single notes and chords. The Tc sub n up tracks great for single notes as good as the pog but can get glitchy with chords. But if on a budget you can get the TC Sub n Up and create a toneprint that will work for you just as good as the pog 2 with the lpf. Also mentioned from gregmon79 if you want crazy octave lower type stuff that meatbox is the way to go but keep in mind it can be a speaker killer and are discontinued and likely hard to find one.

gregmon79 and RssllSdnyWllmsn like this.
  16. I got one for Xmas and it’s pretty good!

96Brigadier likes this.
  17. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    For octave down I like the Octamizer by Aguilar, I haven't used any octave up pedals.

Moosehead1966 and Raw N Low like this.
  18. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I love my TC! Very accurate tracking and very versatile. Can't go wrong with it

19. RssllSdnyWllmsn

RssllSdnyWllmsn

Jan 12, 2018
    Nice set up

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  20. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on the Mooer. At this pricepoint, it tracks surprisingly well.