1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend one album you think very few people know about

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, May 6, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm looking for new stuff to get into, as I'm sure lots of people are.
    So...how's about everyone recommend an album you feel is part of your "secret stash". Stuff that you know about, but that you feel few other people have had exposure to. A brief synopsis wouldn't hurt either.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Avishai Cohen and the Internatinoal Vamp Band--"Unity"

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I rarely hear anyone speak of vocalist Rachelle Ferrell. She's a brilliant singer who has all the tone, range, and style of Whitney or Anita Baker, but seems to be more musical and respect the song more, in a Gladys Knight sort of way. She's another example of the finest performer in a genre not being the most commercially successful.

RF has a number of records out. He self-titled debut features a great tune called "Welcome to my Love" that was active on the charts years ago. Fabulous 5 string bass playing on it, too. I think Larry Kimpel played on that cut, but don't hold me to it.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

If you like heavy music, buy this album immediately. This is my favourite album of the death metal genre, and it's probably one of my favourite albums of all-time. Melodic riffing, tight technical drumming, and even a guest guitar solo by Andy LaRoque.

Graeme

6. Screaming Monkey Boner - The Process Of Assimilation

7. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    los lobotomies/ candyman

git/vocs: steve lukather
    keys: david garfield
    bass :john pena
    drums: simon phillips

8. For funky bass albums I gotta go with this James Brown comp.
    "Funk Power: 1970, A Brand New Thang"
    Cause it's got all the best Bootsy line from the JB era. Including the VERY rarely heard, but funky as all hell, "Since You've Been Gone".
    Quite possibly the sickest interplay between drums and bass on any JB record ever. And no ones ever heard the tune!

9. Lifter -Melinda (everything was beautiful and nothing hurt). The band's only album.

Mid 90's alternative rock. Not a whole lot of new ground covered on this one, but they nailed it for me. Very personal songs. I still consider this the most "complete" album I've ever heard. All the emotions covered (literally) and you're never left thinking "I don't get it". I don't think they could have come up with a follow-up if they had tried.

Why did it flop? No idea. Heroin had a bit to do with it. I read it came out around the same time as the Foo Fighter's first release. That alone probably put it back in the rotation. Really the market was just buried at the time with that genre. You can still buy it online of you dig around.

Aside from that, I seem to be the only person I've known that has heard of and likes New Model Army. That's a real shame.

Mike

10. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Oceansize - Effloresce
    My all time favorite album. They play with three guitarists all the time but it never sounds like"too much". The funny thing is that in all the reviews of this album they put it in a different genre. I've seen it labelled metal, jazz, alt- prog- or hardrock and other genres. It's intense, complex, melodic, organic and just perfect for me.

Good second place: Interpol - Turn on the bright lights ( Carlos D is the best bassist in a band context IMHO) Although they're not really unknown.

11. Urban Dance Squad - Mental Floss For The Globe I'm not usually fond of the "rap rock" genre, but these guys from Amsterdam are mongo tasty.

Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye, A Tribute To Roky Erickson - Great songs interpereted by everyone from the Jesus and Mary Chain to ZZ TP to the Butthole Surfers. EVERYONE I've played this for loved it and very few people knew who Roky is. Psychodelic freak out! I learned "Red Temple Prayer (Two Headed Dog) the day I bought this disk.

Charles Webster - Born on the 24th of July - Mostly electronic music, but really introspective, romantic, and tripping. Turn the lights down low, "get your mind right", snuggle up to yer significant other and chill.

Unband - Retarder - MONSTER stoner/metal from a band too cool to last. I believe the bass player wrote a book about why the band broke up. Big, loud and stupid songs about beer, cars, and girls. "Geeze Louise", "Too Much Is Never Enough", and "Drink And Rock" are relentless. This is music to blast out of your El Camino on your way to the Nashville Pussy gig.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    "Tooth, Fang and Claw" - Ted Nugent.

Really cool album before he went "superstar". Cool guit and nice rhythm section. Rocks hard!

"Nazz" and "Nazz Nazz" by The Nazz. Coolest garage band ever before there even was such a thing! Forget "Nazz III".

13. 1.) Oh My God!!
    http://myspace.com/ohmygod
    2.) "3" with Joey Eppard
    http://myspace.com/ohmygod
    3.) Them vs Them
    http://myspace.com/themvsthem

All good stuff!! ;)

14. Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - Perils. A delightfully evil mixture of Occult, prog, horror movies, chamber jazz, gypsy music and rock.

15. Jeff Buckley - Grace

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Infectious Grooves - Mas Borracho

Their best album, also their least known album. Exceedingly good.

17. Gypsy Punks - Gogol Bordello.

*edit* w00t 1500 post.

18. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Yes! 3 is awesome.

19. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama.

BBD was a 70's "art rock" band led by guitarist Bill Nelson. Very unique sound, way ahead of their time and no one has managed to sound close to them since. Nimble-fingered bass-playing by the late Charlie Tumahai throughout. Their later albums are more well-known (Sunburst Finish, Modern Music) and have some interesting, experimental bonus tracks in which Charlie shows off some neat chordal/sliding jazz riffs, but you asked for an album that not many people know about, and this one in their catalog gets overlooked and/or is usually hard to find...

cheers

20. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Dredg-- El Cielo