1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend replacement for MTD Kingston Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Oct 22, 2006.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    My Kingston Heir is not doing it for me anymore. It has a really warm, thumpy tone and I'm needing a more aggressive sound.

I think I just don't like active basses. Any ideas on something passive I could try beyond the usual Fender or Fender clone?

2. I think that a pickup and/or preamp swap will probably get you what you want. A set of SD Basslines and fresh strings should probably do the trick.

To answer your question (if you're desperate for a new bass), maybe try a warwick passive corvette in bubinga for a more aggressive tone.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    That's the thing, it sounds great with fresh strings.
    I change out strings every two weeks or so, it's killing my wallet. It sucks with this bass because it's like "I have to have to have new strings or my sound is going to suck tonight". When I'm on the road it's not always so easy to get strings. I think maybe the maple neck is adding to the thump factor.

Had a Thumb, sounded good in passive mode, sold it cause it was too friggin' neck heavy for me.

The p/u swap is a good idea, but this bass is just too light. I know that sounds funny, but I just feel comfortable with a big, heavy piece of wood in front me.

4. i still say check out a bubinga or swamp ash corvette. Both types are at the GC near me and i'm rather fond of the ash bodied one. but i think you may be able to get a more aggressive tone with the active vette. you can boost the mids an highs to really cut. an EB stingray might also be worth looking at.

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    At the GC near me (just opened) they have a corvette in black stain with chrome hardware for $850.