Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend Roundwound for L1500

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Aug 30, 2005.

1. I still have the factory SIT Stainless rounds on my G&L L1500, but they are too "clanky" for lack of a better term.

I don't play rounds, so am looking for input for rounds that will produce good grind with this very aggressive sounding bass, but not be "clanky."

My initial thoughts are for Nickel, but I'm open to suggestion. A decent long life is a plus. Not interested in Rotosounds.

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

You might want to try some compression wound strings - I'm using SIT Silencers and have tried Ken Smith Compressors on my SB-2s which suffer from extra brightness and clank without the convenience of a tone control. The growl and grind of rounds are there but the worst of the harshness and most/all of the clank is taken out

I tried groundwounds and while I like them they are much more flatwound like and don't have the same roundwound bite.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    TI Flats are great on a G&L.

As for rounds, DA XLs were about the best round for my L2500. I never tried TI Powerbass but the guys on the G&L forum raved about them. Many G&L owners do not like the zing of steel with the MFD pickups, myself included. And I do like steel on other basses.

Dave

4. Not much response indicates very few L1500 players.

OK... same question for a Sterling or Stingray, please.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would say nickel. My favorite nickels are are DR Sunbeams. They are bright and lively without the really aggressive clatter. I had great luck with them on my L2500.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I just got a 2500 last night (awesome bass), came strung with new DR Hibeam stainless steel rounds. Holy crap are those too bright! I think I'll be moving to SIT nickel rounds...

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I never used stainless on my L2500. It was made for nickels.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Too funny: two guys with double bass avatars talking about stainless roundwounds;)

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    GHS boomers (they're nickel over steel). I like medium gauge (45, 65, 85, 105). Not as stiff feeling, nor as focused sounding, as the comparable DRs or D'Addarios. They have brightness, but the overall tone is somehow more "lush" to me.
    It's all subjective, of course. (The usual disclaimer.)
    Long story: When I first got my old G&L L2000, the DR High Beams on it were way too sterile and clanky. I put Boomers on (after using them for years on my Stingray 5). Shortly after, I began to sadly accept that the neck was warped beyond repair. Happily, I found another neck of the same vintage, but it was defretted. When I had a luthier refret it, he suggested vintage size frets instead of the usual medium jumbo ones. I agreed. Now, the GHS strings sounded a bit tame, so I went back to DRs and occasionally D'Addarios, and the combination of those strings with the mellow vintage frets works very well. (And, the second neck has been straight as an arrow for almost 5 years.)
    So, to sum up, if you're like me, your G&L will sound more "human" and less like something a cyborg might play if you use GHS Boomers... unless for some strange reason it has vintage frets, in which case you'll need strings with more "spine."
    Hope this helps. Again, it's all subjective.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    How do they bow? :smug:

11. That is a pretty good assessment of the SIT Stainless that come installed from the factory.

I have a few virgin sets of GHS Progressives in the box, so they might find a turn on the L1500. I liked them on my Fender RB5.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Not bad til they rip the horsehair right off the bow. I was surprised...