Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend shops in VA-DC-MD region

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. I am Gassing for a new bass and I have $1000 to spend. Can anyone recommend a good sho[ selling used basses, vintage and not so vintage?

thanks

2. Check out Chuck Levin's. They have a massive selection of basses in and around that price range.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I, sadly, haven't had the chance to check the place out, but check out Jive's shop in Alexandria.

JiveSound

4. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    There is Atomic music shop in College park.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another vote for Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. Not only do they have a massive stock of instruments but they also have the best prices I've seen just about anywhere. I've purchased stuff there that was just a hair above their cost (instruments, amps, cabs, etc). Make them a reasonable offer and they're willing to deal. If you live in DC or VA you can drive over, pick out the bass that you like and then call them, buy it over the phone and they'll ship it to you cheap so you don't have to pay sales tax!
    Just my $.02.
    Thanks.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're interested in anything from Lakland, definitely stop by Jive's shop. Or if you need strings or other stuff.

Chuck Levin's is a great place.

My personal favorite local shop is Classic Axe in Manassas.

7. Where would you guys say is the best place here in northern virginia to take my flea bass to get another string tree added?

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd PM Dr. PhunkyPants.

9. Heh, I did. Who is he?

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He's a talkbass member who has been known to do some fairly well regarded setup work on people's basses here on talkbass.

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Richmond Music Center in Richmond VA :D :) :bassist:

12. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Alpha Music in VA Beach. They carry everything from Fender to Roscoe and MTD.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Most of these recommendations don't have much if anything like what he asked for. Atomic Music in College Park is your best bet locally. They recently opened a second store on Gude Drive in Rockville.