Recommend six string flatwound strings to me.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Philbiker, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm having kind of a hard time finding six string flatwound strings. Carvin has a set.

Does anyone have specific recommendations for strings for my new Brice?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If I were going to put flatwounds on a sixer, I'd try TI Jazz Flats first. Why? Best flatwound B string I've tried. I haven't tried the TI flatwound six-string set, but I have used the five-string set a couple of times and the B string really makes the difference. I personally would not use the Carvins unless you like a really dull, thuddy B string. As far as I can tell, the Carvins are GHS flats; they look the same and sound the same.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Go with TI Jazz Flats. But be warned--the B string is HUGE.

They sound absolutely amazing, though. My next set of strings on my 6 string ABG will probably be Jazz flats if I decide I don't like the brass wrapped nylon core strings that I just dropped on the beast.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey bassmonkeee, I'd be interested in what ends up working out best for you on your ABG. I've been using T-I Jazz Flats on my fretless 6 string Shuker ABG, both because they're pretty good and because everything else I've tried so far has been worse. Roundwounds (from several makers in several gauges) made the beast sound too guitar-like; phosphor bronze acoustic strings even more so; D'Addario halfrounds were better but had a truly horrible low B. T-I actually makes a 6 string ABG set, but the tension looked way too low for me to deal with. The main thing I don't like about the Jazz Flats is that the middle strings don't sound fat enough, tonally; though the low B is good, and the upper two strings sing beautifully. (On an electric, this probably wouldn't be an issue for me.) And overall I could use a tad higher tension for those times when I really want to dig in. (Again, probably a lesser issue on an electric.) The luthier told me he thought the JFs didn't "drive the top" of the ABG enough. FWIW.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just noticed that forum sponsor sells Labella Deep Talkin' Bass flatwounds in 6 string sets. I absolutely love those on my Dean 5 string, I've had them on there for about a year and a half and I'm really happy with the sound and feel of them. :bassist:

Hey maybe I can just buy a C string and move the strings from my Dean to the new Brice...... :meh:
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT makes 6 string flat sets too.