recommend some 5'ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Coem y'all recommend some good 5'ers for under $1,200
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    How about under $500. Yamaha BB605. Great little bass.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. There are so many.

Lakland 55-01, G&L Tribute L2500, MTD Kingston, MTD Heir, Fender Roscoe Beck, and more.

If you would consider used, you can get a Lakland 55-02, Lakland Joe Osborne 5, Fender FMT Jazz, Musicman Stingray 5, Pedulla Rapture 5 and Rapture J2 5, and a lot more.

Lots of choices in your price range.

What kind of music are you playing? What kind of sound are you looking for?
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

LOTS of basses in that price range.

That was the same range I was looking in, and I ended up getting a Lakland Darryl Jones 5-string. I looked long and hard at the Lakland Joe Osborn, too. The Lakland Skyline DJ5, JO5, and 55-02 can all be had new for less than $1200 street.

Some MIA Fenders are really good, and nothing wrong with a Stingray. Time to go to all the bass stores in reasonable driving distance and play as many ones in your price range as you can. If possible, play them through a standard combo amp so you know what they really sound like. Some amps&cabs can make a lousy bass sound pretty good.
  5. I've decided to go ahead and save a tad bit more to get me a Valenti :)
  6. good idea.
  7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    go the extra mile and get an Fbass. It is hands down the BEST bass I have ever, ever, ever played. You can get a used one at the for 1500 which is in memphis. Don't just dive in on something you haven't played. I have done that many times, only to keep searching for the one. Now for me, an Fbass is very hard to beat. I live in middle TN if you'd ever like to try one out.

The other suggestions were great IME. Yamahas are very underrated and I love Laklands, but I have never owned either brand. You can never quite tell how great a bass is until recorded and played live. Be careful and good luck!
  8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If you have the opportunity, try the Peavey Cirrus line of basses. Don't let the Peave name fool you! The Cirrus basses are some of the best out there regardless of price.
    You can do a search here on TB about them and you'll see countless raves about their build quality, tone, playability, balance, etc. You can get them in a variety of wood combinations that will compliment the tone you're after and Peavey has fantastic customer service that I've experienced first hand. You can order one new from a variety of dealers or you can often find them new and used on Ebay.
    I think they're the best basses out there short of the top end boutique level of basses.
    Just my thoughts!
  9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    The assymetrical neck on the F-Bass is the most comfortable 5 string neck I've ever played.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would suggest a used Lakland 55-02 or a Spector Rebop or used Czech 5er. Also a Musicman stingray 5'er would be great, or even a Bongo if thats your thing.