1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend some bass luthiers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emilym80, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    I'm going to be getting a two octave four string bass soonish and I'm just weighing up my options in regards to luthiers/companies etc. Right now Sadowsky looks good because they offer pretty much what I'm looking for- a four string bass with a two octave neck for less than 4k (my budget). However, I'd still like to have a look around but I don't really know of many other luthiers (I checked out Carl Thompson and Zon, but I'd prefer a bass that's more... I don't know, conventional looking). If you know anyone you can recommend, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a lot.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Nino Valenti makes "conventional" looking basses, and he's a poster on the boards. check out his site
    Welcome to ValentiBasses.com
    he use to work for Sadowsky and you can get Sadowsky electronics in his basses.

3. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I can think of way better ways to spend 4K than on a dam Sadowsky Bass. Total foolishness, IMO.

4. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Well, that's why I'm asking. If you have something helpful to say, or a recommendation to make, please feel free!

5. If I were looking for a 24-fret 4 string bass and had a budget of $4k, I'd buy an Ibanez Prestige and pocket the rest.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thank you for your enlightened perspective. I'm sure that will help the OP in her decision.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anyway, I'm having Bud LeCompte build a bass for me, but I don't know if any of his body shapes would be conventional enough for you. Maybe something from his Legacy Series.

He's building a VB5 for me to my specs.

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Emilym80, by "conventional" do you mean P or J bass style? If so, there are a few luthiers than can help you including Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Brubaker, Garz, Mike Lull, LowEnd Jazz, Xotic, etc... You can find what you are looking for in your price range from all of these companies.

Good luck on your search...enjoy the ride!

9. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks guys, I'll check them out! And by "conventional", I don't mean those styles necessarily, but something along those lines, or less extravagant/flashy/outlandish looking than, say, a CT.

10. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Sadowsky metro line offers a 24 fret model for way less than 4K. just can't add upgraded tops or change hardware color.

11. anezthes

anezthes

Oct 18, 2010
  12. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    AC Guitars, commonly referred to as ACG A.C. Guitars - Hand Crafted Basses & Guitars
    Not necessarily conventional in design, but there are some designs that might be more up your street.

The Finn >>
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/img_4743.jpg

and the Recurve >>
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/recurve-1.jpg

Also, they will be launching a J Type model at London Bass Day this year, early March.

I can't recommend these basses enough, incredibly well made, with fantastic playability, personality and variety of tones available, especially if you go for the ACG Preamp and last but not least, incredible value for money.

That's my 2p :)

Eude

13. psyoptica

psyoptica

Jan 12, 2012
    Ken Smith might be right up your alley. His basses generally sell for under $2000.

14. rockosocko

rockosocko Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I highly recomend Chris Stambaugh, he builds amazing instruments that look, play and sound great. Plus you can pick your options. Tom Clemment also builds some nice instruments, he's also a Talk Bass member.

15. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    When was the last time you priced a Smith? I'm still looking for a $2K Smith.

If you meant $4K, you are right..a few of them can be found in the $4K range new but only a few. Used...in the $3K range all the time.

Back to the OP...In the "conventional" sense with 24 frets. You are somewhat limited. Sadowsky, Lull. Many of them, like Nordstrand, don't make a 24 fret. All said and done, there are lots of options out there. Play some and see how you like them and see what works for. Don't limit yourself by any certain style, feature etc. Just see what works.

16. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    By the by, $4k is my budget, I'm certainly more than happy to spend less than that! Thanks everyone for the input, I'll start looking around to see if there are any I can try near me. Living in Melbourne makes it difficult, though :meh:

17. Need more specifics. I don't think there are many luthiers who can't build a 4 string with 24 frets.

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Since my name was brought up and I've shipped a couple of basses to Australia the US and will be shipping another soon, let me throw this out there...USPS limits shipping boxes to 46" in length. I can't fit a fully assembeld bass into 46" long box.

If you're considering a bolt-on neck bass it can be sent with the neck removed, but obviously it will need to be put back together, restrung and setup once it gets there. That's something you could do yourself or be prepared to pay someone to do. Shipping a set-neck bass or a neck-thru using USPS would be out of the question.

IIRC, I think the last bass I shipped to Australia was about $180 through USPS. That's was fully insured through a third party. There are other shipping options through UPS, FedEx and the like that would allow a fully assembled bolt-on neck bass, a neck-thru or a set-neck to be shipped, but they are incredibly expensive. I'm sure you're already aware that you'll be responsible for paying duties and taxes when it arrives.

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

20. Go headless? ;)